Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is responsible for developing optoelectronic packaging for advanced photonic components, including semiconductor lasers and photonic integrated circuits. Extensive experience with advanced photonic components and the ability to do the related optical and mechanical design is expected, as well as the proven ability to bring optoelectronic products into production. This role collaborates actively with semiconductor chip designers, process engineers and test engineers to design, develop, and manufacture photonic components from proof-of-concept prototypes all the way through final design documentation and product qualification.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop optoelectronic packaging for semiconductor lasers and related devices using strong multi-disciplinary engineering skills and knowledge
- Design new products taking advantage of existing packaging processes and manufacturing infrastructure
- Create new packaging processes and manufacturing infrastructure
- Document designs, analysis, and test results in engineering reports
- Support root-cause-analysis and yield improvement for existing manufacturing processes
- Support training and creation of work instructions for new manufacturing processes
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position
The employee must have the ability to work in a clean-room environment with compressed gases, lasers and use personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, masks, and gloves. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the design and manufacturing of optoelectronic devices such as semiconductor lasers or related photonic devices.
- Proven track record of releasing to production optoelectronic devices with light coupled to single mode fiber.
- Experienced with product development processes and new product introduction (NPI) processes.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Optical Engineering, or Physics.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient with mechanical, optical, and thermal CAD tools (e.g. SolidWorks, AutoCad, Comsol, Zemax).
- Strong problem solving skills, and good experimental technique, coupled to an absolute attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, making use of clear concise models and calculations to support proposed engineering improvements; good use of tools such as Excel, Matlab, Powerpoint, etc.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378995