Location: Camperdown , New South Wales, Australia
Physics: Optics and Laser
Internal Number: 0104380
- Full time, 2 years fixed term. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Physics
- Opportunity to work on cutting-edge research in Quantum Optics and many-body physics. The quantum optics group operates within the larger Quantum Theory group within the School of Physics. The Quantum Theory group hosts over 40 researchers working on a wide range of topics within the area of Quantum Physics and Technology
- Base Salary, Level A $100,717a + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney’s School of Physics are welcoming applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Quantum Optics, funded by Dr Sahand Mahmoodian’s Australian Reserch Council grant, “Emergent many-body phenomena in engineered quantum optical systems”. The field of research is quantum many-body physics of photons. The candidate can choose to undertake research on a range of topics within this area both focusing on fundamental research and for applications in developing quantum technologies.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake research in the field of quantum many-body physics with photons with Dr Sahand Mahmoodian within the quantum optics theory group at the University of Sydney (https://quantumopticstheorysydney.github.io/)
- prepare and write manuscripts for publication
- work with and assist other PhD students and undergraduate students undertaking research in this area.
If you would like to find out more about the School of Physics leading research, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who has:
- a PhD in Physics/Mathematics/Engineering with a focus on Quantum Optics, Quantum many-body physics, Condensed matter Physics or a related subject (candidates who are near completion will also be considered)
- demonstrated experience in undertaking research in Quantum Optics, Quantum many-body physics, Condensed matter physics or a closely related area
- demonstrated experience in performing theoretical and numerical research with the ability to work independently on problems
- experience in working with advanced quantum many-body physics techniques (Bethe ansatz, matrix-product states, machine learning or other variational ansätze) is desired
- desirable criteria: ability to co-supervise research students in the research area.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Simon Drew Recruitment Operations, by email to [email protected]
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, 8th June 2023
How to apply
About University of Sydney
The University of Sydney is one of the top universities in Sydney, Australia, and is consistently ranked in the top 50 universities in the world.