Location: Mountain View, California
Type: Full Time
Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment
Integrated Optics (PI)
Years of Experience:
Photonics Design Engineer
Lightmatter builds chips for artificial intelligence computing. Our architecture leverages unique properties of light to enable fast and efficient inference and training engines. If you’re a collaborative engineer or scientist who has a passion for innovation, solving challenging technical problems and doing impactful work…work like building the world’s first optical computers, consider joining the team at Lightmatter!
We are seeking a motivated and dedicated photonics design engineer for our next-generation artificial intelligence computing architecture alongside a team of world-class scientists and engineers.
In this role, you will design, develop, build and test photonic systems that are key to our products. You will also interact with device, hardware and software design teams to assist in overall development of photonics systems; specifying, selecting and qualifying the various components necessary.
Join a tight-knit team where each individual’s contributions directly influence the success of the company and product! You’ll have the opportunity to build a new kind of computer from the ground up and to solve groundbreaking challenges along the way. Work with people who love to build and who thrive in technically diverse environments where great ideas are prioritized.
- Design high performance photonics devices suitable for high volume manufacturing
- Actively collaborate across disciplines—with analog, digital and physical design teams—to layout photonic devices for key test and product tape outs
- Work with the photonics test team in defining requirements for device characterization, debug and validation.
- Analyze and characterize the test data to ensure the device/system meets the specifications
- Engage in problem solving and contributing with novel architectural ideas
- Publish and novel ideas related to photonics, and participate in premier optics/photonics conferences
- PhD in EECS, Physics, or related discipline
- Must have knowledge of photonic device physics, semiconductor laser and device physics
- Demonstrated track record of integrated silicon photonics components
- Experience with large scale layout, testing and characterization of photonic devices
- Ability to collaborate in cross-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills in problems that do not have obvious solutions
- Can-do, positive attitude.
- Strong publication record in the photonics field a plus
Lightmatter builds chips for artificial intelligence computing. Our architecture leverages unique properties of light to enable fast and efficient inference and training engines. If you’re a collaborative engineer or scientist who has a passion for innovation, solving challenging technical problems and doing impactful work like building the world’s first optical computers, consider joining the team at Lightmatter!