Location: Bedford, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Fundamental Laser Sciences (OF)
Holography and Diffractive Optics (FH)
Image Sensing and Pattern Recognition (IR)
Integrated Optics (PI)
Laser Systems (PL)
Optical Metrology (OR)
Optics in Digital Systems (ID)
Short Wavelength Sources and Attosecond/High Field Physics (OH)
Years of Experience:
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 102
ABOUT OUR MISSION:
Optics 1 is a global leader in full-service design and production of electro-optic and navigation systems. Leveraging core competencies in defense technologies, Optics 1 provides unmatched, first-class mission solutions for military and law enforcement personnel.
We have a high-paced, high-energy environment focused on acknowledging individual and team successes, as well as overall growth. Optics 1 is a community that cares about the mission of our customers. Our team believes in supporting and enriching our community through engagement; whether that means giving back to our troops, veterans and their families, investing in next generation innovators through STEM education, or higher education initiatives, giving back is an important part of who we are as a team.
We are united by a unique culture and commitment to provide the highest quality products to those who serve.
Looking to join one of our interdisciplinary engineering teams that collaborates for success? The Optical Engineer will join a team focused on the development of new optical products and sub-components for imaging systems, sensor solutions, laser devices, and displays. Members of this group contribute across multiple programs, participating in and often leading hands-on evaluation of prototype hardware, conducting data-driven analysis, and providing design content such as architecture, performance modeling, and lens design. A position within this group represents a unique opportunity to gain exposure to a variety of defense related systems, develop cutting edge solutions with a motivated team, and make a tangible impact throughout the product lifecycle. If you’re eager to learn and grow, we’re eager to have you join our team.
- Optical System Modeling and Simulation:
- Use of tools such as NVIPM to determine ranges for detection, recognition, and identification of specified targets
- Use of custom math models for unique laser and detection systems
- Conduct architectural trade studies and provide content to white papers/proposals
- Laboratory and Field Testing:
- Hands-on testing of optical products and components during design/development (cameras, laser range finders, etc.)
- Laboratory measurements may include camera and laser sub-component properties
- Utilize an array of instrumentation in well-equipped, continually evolving engineering labs
- Lens design:
- Validation of flowed-down requirements to the optical sub-system
- Design from selection
- Tolerance analysis to ensure a best-value solution
- Use tools such as Zemax and FRED
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- 0 to 5 years of Optical or Optical System Engineering experience
- Experience with general engineering lab equipment, practices, and test methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must work well and thrive in a deadline driven, fast paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills while having the ability to be a team player
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering discipline (Optical, Electrical, Mechanical)
- Must be a US Citizen or hold US Protected Individual status
IDEALLY, YOU’LL ALSO HAVE:
- Ability to travel and interact with key users in the field and at Military Bases throughout the country if needed
- Optical Engineering degree or concentration
- Master’s degree in Optical Engineering or Optical Sciences
Apply today at Careers.Optics1.com
EEO STATEMENT & ACCESSIBILITY:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the role.
EOE/AA/M/F/Vets – US Protected Individual status required (US citizen, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee or temporary resident (as defined at 8 USC 1160(a).
About Safran Optics 1 Inc
Safran Optics 1 is a global leader in full-service design and production of electro-optic and navigation systems. Leveraging core competencies in defense technologies, Optics 1 provides unmatched, first-class mission solutions for military and law enforcement personnel. The company also offers solutions for commercial, aerospace, industrial, medical and research industries. Optics 1’s product portfolio includes devices and modules for surveillance and reconnaissance missions for dismounted soldier, airborne, naval and land vehicle operations. Optics 1 designs, develops, and manufactures products at its headquarters in Bedford, New Hampshire. The company also has additional research and development and engineering capabilities in Simi Valley and Costa Mesa, California. As part of the Safran Group, Optics 1 is also proud to provide capabilities from Safran Vectronix and Safran Electronics and Defense.