Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 238
Application Deadline: May 4, 2023
Position: Transmission Planning Engineer (Electrical Discipline Required)
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota (Eligible for hybrid schedule.)
More than power, we’re about people. At Great River Energy (GRE), people are our first priority—both customers and employees. Here, you will find a team-centered environment that’s rewarding, challenging, and exciting. As a cooperative-owned generation and transmission company, we are Minnesota’s second largest utility based on generating capacity.
We are currently looking for a Transmission Planning Engineer to develop or assist in the development of plans to provide reliable, low cost transmission.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Conducting reliability studies.
· Planning new facilities to improve reliability.
· Accommodating load growth and providing generation outlet.
· Developing power system models.
· Representing GRE with external organizations dealing with transmission issues.
· Acting as a liaison to Member Systems on facility planning issues.
· A Bachelor’s Degree (or advanced) in electrical engineering required or education required to qualify for the written Professional Engineering Examination as required by the State Board of Engineering, and typically 0-3 years of experience in an engineering or science related position.
· Experience in transmission planning, operations or facilities engineering will be preferred.
· Experience in performing Electro Magnetic Transient studies will be preferred
· Knowledge of Power System Simulator for Engineers (PSS®E) is required.
· Knowledge of Python or equivalent programming language is required.
· Knowledge of transmission equipment and integrated system design and operating characteristics.
· Knowledge of power system modeling techniques.
· Knowledge of least cost planning methods.
· Knowledge of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO), Midwest ISO (MISO), National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (IEEE) technical standards related to transmission planning and operation.
· Skill in developing and utilizing analytical techniques and computer applications.
· Skill in performing comprehensive and accurate load flow and other technical studies.
· Skill in interpreting and applying technical reports, analysis, and data.
· Skill of preparing complex written materials including presentations, reports, and correspondence to meet purpose and audience.
· Skill of conducting cost/benefit analyses including the ability to identify appropriate variables and translate them into financial data to assess alternative actions.
· Ability to negotiate by collaborating with others to arrive at a conclusion using compromise, persuasion, rationale, and diplomacy.
· Ability to make effective decisions and select a course of action considering appropriate variables.
Qualified professionals will find we have a lot to offer: competitive compensation, continued education, an on-site workout facility, generous retirement plan, along with many more benefits. Qualified candidates, please apply at www.greatriverenergy.com under the Careers tab by May 4, 2023. GRE values diversity, equity, and inclusion and we are an equal employment opportunity employer.
About Great River Energy
Powering what’s possible Great River Energy is a not-for-profit electricity provider owned by our 28 distribution cooperatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin for which we generate and transmit electricity. We provide wholesale electric service to our member owners who distribute electricity to approximately 660,000 member consumers – or about 1.7 million people. A diverse mix of generation resources – Our power plants generate more than 2,800 megawatts of electricity and several solar arrays capable of producing 650 kilowatts. In addition, we purchase wind and hydroelectric energy.Your electricity is delivered through power lines to you. Every time you plug in your toaster, television or other electrical device, a system of power lines goes to work to bring you the power you need. Our job at Great River Energy is to keep the lights on by providing a safe & reliable supply of electricity.