Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Years of Experience:
4 Year Degree
Optica is recruiting for an Outreach Programs Manager. This position is part of a team that specializes in providing unique and impactful professional development programming, topic-focused schools, grants, prizes and recognitions for students and early-career members of a science and engineering professional society. Focus includes: i) execution and analysis of current and future professional development training and mentorship programs, i) marketing, management, and analysis of grants, scholarships, prizes and competitions; ii) ensuring effective communication of programs via the website, social media, email and other relevant channels to generate awareness, interest and applications/participants. iii) report on program results to include all participation metrics, budgetary goals and recommendations for future action) execution and analysis of current and future professional development training and mentorship programs,
This position requires an organized, driven, self-directed, energetic and entrepreneur-minded individual.
- Manages grant programs, such as paper competitions, prizes, scholarships, and travel grants. Duties include promoting programs, tracking applications, sending notifications, managing grant and prize payments, identifying ways to promote recipients, and coordinating with other internal and external partners to ensure smooth execution.
- Responsible for developing, marketing, budgeting, and on-site management of programs in collaboration with volunteer leadership and funders.
- Tracks program expenses and manages program budgets effectively.
- Maintains database(s) (NetForum/Apply) to ensure data quality; performs data entry and maintenance to records as needed. Assists in the preparation of quarterly reporting and program updates.
- Manages program websites, ensures content is accurate and up-to-date, and edits/adds text and images as needed. Monitors optica.org and meeting/conference websites to ensure program/grant text is accurate.
- Assists with production and distribution of program/event materials, provides logistical support on-site, and post-meeting follow-up.
- Responds promptly and professionally to inquiries from members, volunteers, vendors, and staff. Provides information about outreach programs in a thorough and timely fashion.
- Thinks strategically and creatively about current and new programs with a constant eye for improvement, change, and increased impact.
- Understands how to balance internal resource constraints with external customer expectations.
- Manage member mentoring program, including identification of participants, creating training, and tracking and reporting on engagement.
This role might be a great fit if you …
- Wish to join an industry-leading, widely admired growing organization that values diversity, equity, inclusion, and its people as its number one resource.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree (minimum), and have at least 3-7 years of program management experience.
- Can balance and derive gratification from both administrative/operational activities and strategic ones (in other words, easily shift gears and respect the importance of both types of work).
- Have experience with special event planning. Possess effective communication skills (verbal and written), allowing for the synthesizing the input of many voices into cohesive themes and messages.
- Possess a strong customer service orientation, problem-solver demeanor, and positive attitude.
- Can learn and adapt quickly to new directives, programs, and opportunities to drive growth and impact
- Have proficiency in Microsoft Office/Windows, database applications (Experience with netFORUM preferred)
- Like editing and managing webpages
- Can multi-task due to excellent organizational skills
- Believe you have excellent interpersonal skills and are effectively working in a team environment
- You enjoy working as part of a team and independently to deliver results
- Enjoy traveling for business (3-4 times per year)
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected].
Optica (formerly OSA) is dedicated to promoting the generation, application, archiving, and dissemination of knowledge in optics and photonics worldwide. Founded in 1916, it is the leading organization for scientists, engineers, business professionals, students, and others interested in the science of light. Optica’s renowned publications, meetings, online resources, and in-person activities fuel discoveries, shape real-life applications and accelerate scientific, technical, and educational achievement.