SPIE is the international society for optics and photonics founded in 1955 to advance light-based technologies. Serving more than 225,600 constituents from 150 countries, the Society advances emerging technologies through interdisciplinary information exchange, continuing education, publications, patent precedent, and career and professional growth. SPIE annually organizes and sponsors approximately 25 major technical forums, exhibitions, and education programs in North America, Europe, Asia, and the South Pacific.
SPIE is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. SPIE provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Join our team, sharing the latest scientific advances in light-based technologies from around the world, including biomedical optics, astronomy, lasers, solar, nanotechnology, and more! Make a difference doing important work with a successful, international not-for-profit organization.
Description of duties:
This role is focused on influencing and monitoring US government policy and funding. This position will involve engaging with government officials on key issues impacting the optics and photonics community, including extensive interaction with other scientific societies, industry associations and various stakeholders.
Success in this role looks like:
Use your analytical skills to assess key risks and opportunities presented by government action. Attention to detail and excellent communication skills in a fast-paced environment is required. A willingness to learn and understand the global optic and photonic ecosystem, and what type of government actions impact the system, is a high priority for this role. Building relationships with Congressional offices and Administration officials. Coalition building and maintenance is also a considerable aspect of this job including significant interaction with associated stakeholder groups.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- 4-year degree from an accredited university Business Admin, Political Science, or Public Relations (STEM degree or masters a bonus)
- 4-5 years of experience in Public Policy/Government Affairs/ industry relations/Project Management
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): SPIE recognizes that diversity and inclusion drive innovation, excellence, and new knowledge. Bringing together people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives makes us stronger and supports our mission. We offer a collaborate work environment and strive to create a culture of belonging for all our employees.
Compensation and Benefits package includes:
- Competitive wages, annual discretionary bonus. Pay Rage $83,800 to $121,500
- Medical, dental & vision benefits provided (100% employer paid premium for the employee, 75% employer paid premium for the dependents).
- Defined retirement contribution: SPIE provides an automatic 5% contribution PLUS SPIE offers UP to 5% matching contributions and 100% vested immediately.
- Paid Time Off plan beginning at 31 days per year.
- Health savings accounts are partially funded by SPIE.
- Flexible spending accounts for dependent care and dental/vision expenses available.
- Employee life & disability insurance provided, dependent life insurance & Long Term Care insurance available through payroll deduction.
- Many learning & development opportunities including tuition reimbursement & leadership development.
Full-time, 40 hours per week position available, with flexible work hours.
Location: Position is based in the Washington, DC area. Work from home with occasional in-person meetings on Capitol Hill or downtown Washington, DC
Culture: In alignment with our mission and values as a technical society, we follow scientific findings and science-based best practices and comply with public health guidance. SPIE has adopted a mandatory Covid vaccine policy. We are located in Bellingham, WA where you will find the perfect blend of endless outdoor recreation, incredible scenery, strong schools, great breweries, and more, making this an amazing place to work and live.
Please send a resume & cover letter, indicating how your experience & qualifications match the requirements & why you will be successful in this position to:
All materials must be received by 5 p.m 4/25/2023
SPIE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SPIE provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378606