Physics: Optics and Laser
Government and National Lab
Research and Development
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Director of Research in Photon Science
Starting date: preferred January 2024 | ID: FSDIR/2023 | Deadline: 10.05.2023 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The DESY campus in Hamburg hosts some of the world’s most brilliant light sources for photon science: the tender to hard X-ray synchrotron radiation source PETRA III, and the FLASH free-electron laser in the soft X-ray range. DESY is also responsible for the operation and development of the accelerator for the European XFEL. Furthermore, DESY is preparing the PETRA IV project – the ultimate X-ray microscope with outstanding potential for academic and industrial users. These facilities make DESY the world’s leading centre for research with X-rays. Research activities at DESY Photon Science are also carried out in several interdisciplinary centres on-site, together with its partner institutions. All these centres continue to develop dynamically.
DESY is currently engaged in an international search process for the Director of Research in Photon Science.
About your role:
The Director of Research in Photon Science
- is head of the Photon Science division and as member of the Board of Directors responsible for the development of the laboratory as a whole
- has a major responsibility in shaping the future of the photon sources PETRA III and FLASH as well as the photon science research program at DESY, including cooperation with other research divisions at DESY and European XFEL
- is responsible for representing the field of photon science in the Helmholtz Association and representing DESY in international networks and/or organisations
- is responsible for selected DESY infrastructure service groups
- Outstanding research record, international recognition, and a broad spectrum of interest in accelerator-based photon science and related areas
- Experience in successfully managing people and large and diverse scientific groups
- Proven scientific leadership and excellent management skills
- Experience in developing scientific strategies
- Sound knowledge of the international research landscape
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work-life balance we offer flexible working hours and participation in mobile work. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
For further information please contact Dr. Rafael Abela (Chairman of the Search Committee) E-mail: [email protected]
The appointment is for a period of five years. Reappointment is possible. The position is compensated at an international level in accordance with the W3 salary system in Germany which includes the option of performance-related payments. Knowledge of the German language is desirable.
Please note the data protection instruction under the link www.desy.de/?data_privacy_policy/?index_eng.html.
Please use our online tool for the submission of Additional application documents
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2,700 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.