Location: Tucson, Arizona
Type: Full Time
Fiber Optics Technology (PF)
Years of Experience:
Leonardo has an exciting career opportunity for an engineer experienced in the field of fiber optics. We are currently developing fiber-based products and are looking for a skilled engineer able to step in and contribute.
The work includes the development of fiber amplifiers and lasers, and fiber coupled diodes. It is a hands-on effort developing prototypes, testing reliability and moving the product towards production. This encompasses reading and drawing optical circuit diagrams, identification and procurement of parts, building and testing the device, and troubleshooting problems.
- an understanding of optical and fiber optic theory.
- experience in building fiber-optic based devices with knowledge of cleaving, splicing, assembly, layout and testing of device.
- experience troubleshooting optical systems.
- a desire to be hands on, and willing to work in a clean room environment.
- a willingness to work semi-independently, within a close-knit team.
- being neat and meticulous with work and documentation.
- taking the initiative and being proactive.
- having good communication skills including documenting, analyzing, and presenting work.
- familiarity with MS word, excel and PowerPoint
Desired skills include:
- an ability to perform simulations on fiber optics systems.
- an understanding of nonlinear effects in fibers
- experience in manufacturing of fiber devices.
- A Master’s or higher degree in optics, electronics, or similar field preferred, but a Bachelor’s degree with an appropriate level of experience will be considered.
- Should be able to spend working time fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- This position is located in the United States and will require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As such, all applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
[NOTE: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.]
Leonardo Company is a global leader in aerospace, defense and security because of their commitment to fostering a family-first culture. Our employees benefit from significant investment in research and development, a well-developed growth plan and the chance to thrive on an international team. Leonardo Electronics US Inc. shares a commitment to supporting our employees. We offer unique engineering projects, diverse career paths and professional growth opportunities as well as an award-winning wellness program. We are proud to do business in the United States so that we can bring our innovative products and services to government, military, and commercial clients throughout the nation. Our sales, engineering, manufacturing, and support services are located in Huntsville, AL and Tucson, AZ.