Location: Tucson, Arizona
Type: Full Time
Fiber Modeling and Fabrication (FF)
Fiber Optics Technology (PF)
Integrated Optics (PI)
Laser Systems (PL)
Lasers in Manufacturing (FL)
Nonlinear Optics (OL)
Photonic Detection (PD)
Photonic Metamaterials (OP)
Quantum Optical Science and Technology (OQ)
Short Wavelength Sources and Attosecond/High Field Physics (OH)
Ultrafast Optical Phenomena (OU)
Years of Experience:
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: 02
The primary job duty of the Senior Scientist is to conduct research in optical physics. The Senior Scientist carries out research objectives that are outlined by the supervisor based on grants/contracts. The Senior Scientist runs a particular portion of a lab to conduct sponsored research, experiments, design and develop high average power pulsed and/or continuous wave (CW) laser systems, and related technologies, to support evolving applications and missions at our facility in Tucson, AZ.
Yes, will supervise a team of scientists and monitor budgets.
- Conduct experiments in the fields of ultrashort pulse, high power, and energy laser physics.
- Execute and interpret advanced laser experiments that test new concepts and modeling capability in collaboration with laboratory scientists and engineers.
- Define and prioritize tasks and goals to ensure that programmatic needs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Construct, run, and improve laser performance using models utilizing complex analytical code and numerical simulations.
- Apply advanced knowledge in identified areas, interacting with mid-level and senior management.
- Develop research and development proposals. Develop and capture intellectual property.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Physics, Optics, or Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- 10+ years related experience
- Advanced knowledge in solid state and/or fiber lasers, ultrashort pulse laser physics, ultrashort pulse characterization, and nonlinear optics as applied to laser development and applications.
- Significant experience designing, building, testing, and optimizing performance of ultrashort pulse laser systems based on a wide variety of amplifier architectures.
- Significant experience working independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, and ability to lead advanced research and development activities.
- Successful record of accomplishment in scientific research and development.
- Advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently anticipate, analyze, advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions to complex issues.
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and managing within designated budget.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and publications, deliver scientific presentations, and interact with a diverse group.
- Substantial experience in the areas of high average power pulsed and/or CW lasers.
- Substantial project management experience on mid-to-large scale projects (able to manage project scope, schedule, and budget)
- PhD in Physics, Optics, or Electrical Engineering.
- Knowledge in Joule-class short pulse lasers and amplifiers.
- Knowledge in high average power laser technology.
- This position requires U.S. citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance. This can include Secret, Top Secret or Confidential based on the position.
- Employment is contingent upon confirmation of eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter based on a Federal background investigation.
- The employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must have the ability to work in a clean-room environment with hazardous chemicals, compressed gases, lasers, and high voltage on a regular basis, use personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, respirators, gloves, and aprons.
- This role is classified as a safety-sensitive position which involves a heightened danger that requires an employee’s full and unimpaired skills and judgment to safely execute the job
Applied Energetics, Inc is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
About Applied Energetics, Inc
Apply Here: https://jobs.workinoptics.com/jobs/rss/18369790/senior-scientist