Location: Livermore, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: $108,600 ? $120,120 annually
Academia, Research Laboratory
Years of Experience:
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Laser Modeling Physicist- Postdoctoral Researcher
Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$108,600 ? $120,120 annually for the PDS.1 Level.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are seeking a Laser Modeling Physicist- Postdoctoral Researcher within our Laser Science and Technology Systems Engineering Technologies Program to participate in the research, development, and modeling of advanced solid state laser technology, ultrafast solid-state lasers, high peak power lasers, high average power lasers, and high energy / high intensity short pulse lasers. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achievedfusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening up new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
You will perform design, modeling, and commissioning of cutting-edge laser technology development and potentially execute experiments to verify and validate advanced laser concepts relevant to fusion energy drivers, plasma physics, condensed matter physics, laser propagation/amplification and laser matter interaction research. This position is in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
In this role, you will
- Conduct research and development in one or more of the following areas: diode-pumped solid-state lasers, high energy solid-state lasers, Ti:Sapphire short pulse lasers, optical parametric short pulse amplifiers, chirped pulse amplification, high power fiber-lasers, solid state laser materials science, frequency conversion and non-linear optics, short pulse laser diagnostics and advanced laser concepts.
- Design, implement, and analyze advanced laser physics and nonlinear optics models coupled with existing LLNL beam propagation code VBL++ running on both single and extreme parallel-processor high performance computers.
- Perform laser modeling for the design and commissioning laser systems and laser system components.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of researchers internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Work within a dynamic team environment to document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires US citizenship.
- PhD in applied mathematics or physics, laser physics, general physics, atomic physics, optics and optoelectronics, or related field or discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one or more of the following areas: solid state lasers, laser cavities, short pulse laser technology, frequency conversion, non-linear optics, crystal optics, fiber lasers, gas lasers, ultrafast lasers, short-pulse laser diagnostics, thermal-management, and turbulent atmospheric propagation.
- Experience in deriving nonlinear optics, beam propagation, and amplification equations with various levels of approximations.
- Experience in numerical methods to efficiently implement and solve these equations in codes.
- Ability to perform as an innovation experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information within a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in parallel computing.
- Hands-on experience with laser and nonlinear optics experimental laboratory techniques.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- FlexibleBenefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/LLNL/3743990001230046-laser-modeling-physicist-postdoctoral-researcher
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.