Location: Dayton, Ohio
Type: Full Time
Salary: $107,280 to $195,000
Years of Experience:
As the Head of the Department of Engineering Physics, you will supervise and manage approximately 30 faculty and staff; manage the daily activities of the department; work with the Dean in formulating plans, objectives, policies, priorities, and procedures; direct department work activities; provide budget forecasting and justification; participate with other department heads and functional chiefs in assuring the mission of the institute; conduct work evaluation reviews; instructs doctoral and master of science students in the broad discipline of Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and Optical Science and Engineering; develop, direct, and evaluate the research activity of graduate students; personally carry out a highly creative and significant, externally funded program of research; regularly communicate results of student and personal research to the technical community; provide consulting services to Air Force laboratories and program offices in area of expertise; and participates in faculty governance of the Institute and in activities of professional societies related to the activities of the department.
U.S. citizenship and the ability to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance are conditions of employment.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov.
- This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random drug testing for drug use.
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required.
- Employee must maintain current certifications.
- Selectee may be subject to serve a one-year trial period.
- Candidates are not required to have active-duty service or veterans’ preference to be referred and considered. All qualified candidates who meet the recruitment assessment criteria will be referred to the selecting official.
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee’s failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination.
- Essential qualities expected of every faculty member include the personal attributes of integrity, industry, cooperation, initiative, and breadth of intellectual interests.
- Travel by military or commercial transportation to gather ideas for improving the curriculum, establish research contacts and agreements, conduct research, and present results of research may be required.
- Initial appointment is under Schedule A appointing authority, Excepted Appointment Not-to-Exceed 3 years.
- At the time of the expiration of the initial appointment an employee who adequately demonstrates professional competence can be extended in increments up to 3 years or for an indefinite period.
- An initial appointment can be allowed to expire for an employee who does not adequately demonstrate professional competence.
- The appointment cannot be converted to a permanent tenure in the competitive service.
- Current Federal employees on a permanent or indefinite appointment will be required to have a minimum of 3-day break in service if selected.
- This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. This is an Administratively Determined position in the excepted service.
- Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
About Air Force Institute of Technology
The Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) invites applications for the position of Head of the Department of Engineering Physics (https://www.afit.edu/ENP/). The Department Head provides technical and administrative direction to a work force of approximately 30 personnel within the Department of Engineering Physics who are engaged in teaching assignments, research and research supervision and supporting technical and clerical work for assigned degree-granting programs. This position is a tenure-track faculty position at the professor level. The successful candidate will have an earned doctorate in Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or a closely related field; exhibit a strong research publication record, extensive experience with externally funded research, and sound academic and professional leadership abilities. AFIT engages in diversity initiatives and strives for campus diversity. Members of historically under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Apply Here: https://jobs.workinoptics.com/jobs/rss/18335152/head-department-of-engineering-physics