Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Type: Full Time
Academia, Research Laboratory
Years of Experience:
Internal Number: 204207
Research Assistant/Associate Professor
Quantum Information Science and Engineering (QS&E)
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC)
UTC, one of four public universities of the University of Tennessee system, is recognized as a leader in experiential learning with an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students. The University is an integral part of the widely recognized educational, R&D, entrepreneurial, and economic development ecosystem of the Chattanooga Metropolitan Area (CMA), in the middle of the Tennessee Valley Science and Technology Corridor (https://tennvalleycorridor.org/).
UTC has launched an institutional initiative in Quantum Information Technology with the goal to establish a program known for excellence in education, innovation, and economic development enabled by Quantum Technology (QT). In collaboration with commercial partners, the UTC Quantum Initiative is establishing a User Lab connected to the EPB Quantum Network powered by Qubitekk. This quantum node on the network is scheduled to be operational in July 2023. We seek to fill a non-tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position in quantum communications by that time. The successful candidate will manage the quantum node, and will use the network, collaborate with users from UTC and other institutions, and drive important applications. The appointment will be for three years with potential to renew or enter a tenure-track pathway.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- Manage the User Lab to meet educational and applied research objectives. The lab will be equipped with a Quantum Network Interface Console (which provides physical connectivity and the ability to reconfigure the network), an 8-channel Superconducting Nanowire Single-Photon Detector (SNSPD), 3 quantum entanglement sources (two at 1570 nm, one at 810 nm), and optical hardware for quantum optics experiments both at 810 nm and 1570 nm.
- Perform R&D, publish in highly rated journals, communicate results in national and international forums.
- Lead and/or contribute to collaborations with researchers at academic partner institutions, national labs, and commercial entities.
- Collaborate to realize extramural funding opportunities.
- Advanced degrees (PhD or equivalent required), awarded in relevant areas of Physics, Engineering, or Mathematics with a strong commitment to advance and apply QT
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Publication record indicative of successful teamwork
- Experience with building and operating quantum communications experiments
- Experience with modeling and simulation of quantum processes
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated success with collaborations across disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to and/or lead the development of competitive research proposals
For full consideration, applicants should prepare and submit the following information within our online application system:
- letter of interest,
- a current curriculum vitae,
- copies of transcripts
- research statement
- diversity statement
Additionally, candidates will need to include names, titles, and email addresses for three (3) references for confidential letters of recommendation to be requested.
Review of applicants will begin on April 1, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Chattanooga is located on the Tennessee River within minutes of beautiful outdoor environments in the Appalachian Mountains, within a day’s drive of the best beaches in the Gulf of Mexico and on the Eastern US Seaboard, with excellent air travel connections to major cities in the East and Mid-West. It is widely recognized as one of the innovative “smart” US cities internationally and was among the first US cities to be officially recognized by US Ignite (us-ignite.org) as a Smart Gigabit Community. This designation indicates a commitment by the community to leverage advanced science, mathematics, engineering, computing and networking technologies to improve city processes and quality of life for all citizens. The city’s ongoing dedication to advancing technology has attracted dozens of startups to join companies already here such as Volkswagen, Amazon, Unum, McKee Foods, U.S. Xpress, and Coca-Cola Bottling Co. United.
Benefits of Becoming a UTC Moc
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Apply Here: https://jobs.workinoptics.com/jobs/rss/18307127/research-assistant-associate-professor