Location: Elizabeth, Illinois
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Cooperative offers pension, 401(k), PTO, disability, medical/dental/vision/life insurance, flexible work environment, and tuition reimbursement
POSITION TITLE: System Engineer
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: None
FLSA CLASS: Exempt
SALARY GRADE: 16
Plans, organizes, directs, staffs, and controls the Jo-Carroll Energy Engineering department. Directs the development and execution of electric system planning studies. Ensures safe, reliable, and cost-effective system design. Oversees the implementation, operation and maintenance of the department’s data, mapping, control, and analysis software.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Manages Jo-Carroll Energy’s Engineering department.
- Plans, organizes, directs, staffs, and controls the Cooperative’s Engineering department.
- Selects, disciplines, evaluates, trains, and supervises employees in the Engineering department.
- Administers employee development and compensation programs consistent with applicable policies, procedures, and practices to assure the maintenance of a highly competent, motivated, and effective workforce.
- Develops annual budgets for the Engineering department.
- Monitors progress and costs incurred in carrying out departmental work plans and budgets.
- Directs the development of system studies and work plans including short- and long-range work plans, coordination studies, power requirement studies and load forecasts.
- Collaborates with other Cooperative Departments as required to ensure department and corporate success.
- Handles escalated member complaints.
- Responds to, and assists with, emergency situations as needed.
2. Approves system design and construction.
- Analyzes equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine acceptability of materials, equipment, and tools.
- Determines feasibility of designing or specifying new equipment or modifying existing facilities.
- Provides technical support with work order design for large members, subdivisions, and commercial developments.
- Reviews and approves work orders prior to construction.
3. Facilitates safe and reliable operation of the Cooperatives electric distribution system.
- Directs proper system protection and coordination to ensure the maximization of system reliability.
- Responds to employee, member and contractor questions concerning power quality issues.
- Oversees and evaluates system inspections, construction, and maintenance.
- Recommends procedures to ensure employee and public safety.
4. Ensures proper development and implementation of policies relating to legal, procedural, and contractual requirements.
- Maintains awareness of legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements for Engineering department activities.
- Coordinates and develops the required legal and legislative strategies to assure regulations for legal operation are being met.
- Communicates policies and procedures with department and other Cooperative employees to assure compliance with appropriate regulatory policies.
- Assists with regulatory compliance filing and audits.
- Develops and maintains policies relating to system and member construction specifications.
- Develops and maintains equipment and construction specifications.
5. Ensures proper operation, implementation, and development of department technology.
- Directs the operation and development of the Cooperative’s GIS.
- Assures proper implantation and operation of the Outage Management System.
- Maintains and operates the engineering analysis software and model.
- Coordinates and directs the implementation, operation and maintenance of the Cooperative’s SCADA system, AMI system, metering, protection relaying and control systems.
- Coordinates with Information Technology Department to implement and maintain proper cybersecurity protocols for all system networks and devices.
- Coordinates, recommends, implements, and maintains applicable Engineering support for Natural Gas and Broadband business units.
6. Acts as a member of the Engineering Department.
- Communicates and interprets the Cooperative’s Mission Statement, strategic goals, and policies within the department to establish direction and to obtain understanding and commitment by the employees of the department.
- Supports member and employee satisfaction initiatives.
- Develops recommendations regarding departmental organizational structure and staffing to accomplish approved program goals.
- Assists in developing annual operating budgets.
- Prepares reports regularly to assure compliance with program goals and budget levels and to serve as the basis for planning.
- ds, communicates, and participates in regular departmental staff and employee meetings to discuss, propose, and report on department activities, progress, and process improvement initiatives.
- Highly motivated with positive management skills and a strong commitment to cooperative principles and to providing excellent member service.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Electrical Engineering is required.
- Specialized training in electric utility system design, operation and evaluation is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of increasingly responsible experience in electric utility system design, construction, and operation is required, preferably with a consumer-owned or publicly held utility system.
- Working knowledge of utility system design, construction, operations and maintenance specifications and standards.
- A working knowledge of applicable codes, regulations, and standards, both national and local, is essential.
- Knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and engineering-related information systems is desirable.
- Ability to effectively coordinate available resources is essential.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others, both orally and in writing, is essential.
- Should possess in-depth conceptual and working knowledge of consumer-owned utility relationships and standards as required by applicable state and federal agencies.
- Skills in developing plans procedures, and goals required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be familiar with engineering modeling software, formulas and equations related to the operation and functioning of the electric system.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness.
- Generally accepted office working conditions.
- Occasional work outside normal working hours may be required.
- Occasional travel required to represent the Cooperative at training and information meetings of allied organizations and professional groups.
- Requires continuous sitting and use of keyboard/computer and occasional standing, walking, bending, climbing, kneeling, reaching, and occasionally lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Job requires sitting most of the time. Requires repetitive motions with hands and fingers such as dialing and keyboarding.
- Primarily inside work at a desk. Must be able to use office equipment such as a copier, computer, and printer.
- Must be able to communicate to individuals, small and large groups.
- Must be able to read, write and do arithmetic.
- Requires analyzing data and reports, conducting research, coordinating people and resources, directing, and supervising people and evaluating performance.
- Must be able to present information to others and work under stress.
About Jo-Carroll Energy, Inc (NFP)
Jo-Carroll Energy, Inc is an exceptional 19,400 member distribution cooperative with over 2,361 miles of electric line, 306 miles of natural gas pipeline and over 3,000 high-speed wireless broadband and fiber accounts. We serve parts of Jo-Daviess, Carroll, Whiteside, and Henry Counties located in the beautiful driftless area of Northwest Illinois. This area is a nature lovers’ paradise, on the banks of the Mississippi River with abundant hunting and fishing as well as wonderful four-season outdoor recreational opportunities that include downhill skiing, snowmobiling trails, bike trails, boating, and campgrounds. Our service area is also family friendly and boasts academically recognized school districts, safe neighborhoods, and infrastructure connectivity.