Location: Galway, Ireland
Type: Full Time
Imaging Optical Design (FD)
Years of Experience:
2 openings available.
Are you interested in designing optical systems? We are looking for exceptional candidates with experience in optical system design. The role is open to all experienced backgrounds: those with industry experience, or those who have followed an academic path.
Why you should work with us
- Get in on the ground floor with a LaserCom scale-up company set to revolutionise connectivity
- Work closely with some of the brightest innovators in lasercom technologies in a fast-paced and fun environment where you can take risks while tackling cutting-edge challenges every day
- Share your passion for bringing optical designs to manufacture with like-minded engineers
- Work in an exciting, international environment
- Inclusive and open company culture with competitive salary, benefits, and flexible hours
- Develop your own skills and contribute to company growth
At MBRYONICS, we specialise in creating and forging the tools and technologies to master light. mBryonics Ltd. is an emerging global leader in end-to-end free space optical communications (FSO) technologies and systems for space and terrestrial market applications.
We are engineering and manufacturing the next generation of optics and photonics to power the digital space age. From building our satellite optical transport network technologies to working with satellite operators and system integrators on designing and deploying satellite communication systems.
The mission for the Optical Design Engineer is to design and industrialise the next generation of optical antennas of our satellite optical communications terminals. The successful candidate will work closely with the optical and mechanical engineering teams in the design and development of bulk optical components, optical systems and precision metrology processes., The development of novel high precision metrology and ground support equipment is fundamental to enable volume production of high specification optical instruments . This requires mastering defining requirement specifications (model based), design for manufacture, and assembly, integration and test. It is the task of the optical design engineer to develop new solutions or improve existing ones to support the refinement of the full process chain.
- The role of optical design engineer includes leading technical discussions with suppliers and also contributing to meetings with customers. The candidate will be responsible for documenting and reporting their work and generating ISO component drawings
- As you also communicate with other competencies to meet deliverable milestones, this responsibility requires a high level of multidisciplinary technical knowledge combined with good communication skills and self-motivation to generate solutions.
- Serve as a technical expert/owner for one or more optical subsystems, responsible for design, product development and implementation. This will involve developing prototypes and transferring to the production environment, and clearly documenting work.
- In a sprint-based environment investigate, analyse, troubleshoot issues in a structured way, find root causes and turn your findings into planable actions to contain and solve them structurally.
- Present results to your team and other stakeholders. Interact with cross-functional groups (engineers and scientists, customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, management, suppliers, external customers). You will cross functional boundaries and build constructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organisation
- Support systems in the factory and the field.
- Travel (Europe/US) can be expected
- Create knowledge transfer from design to the factory and provide customer support as a technical expert.
- Masters or higher (PhD) in optical design or similar, or equivalent industry experience
- Minimum 3 years experience in optical engineering, ideally in designing optical systems for coherent light
- Demonstrable experience in Zemax Opticstudio, Matlab/Simulink or similar software
- Advanced knowledge of Matlab and/or Python for macro development
- Expertise and experience with optical design and optical metrology of rotationally-symmetric optical components is essential, additional experience with diffractive or freeform optical design is highly beneficial
- Strong drive to improve one’s system understanding
- Model- based design
- Strong understanding of optical aberrations and their origins in optical systems
- Numerical analysis of data for performance modelling.
- Practical experience with optical system assembly and metrology
- Experience in stray light simulation and analysis
- Experience in optomechanical design and working with mechanical engineers to optimise optomechanical designs
- Experience in design, modelling and manufacture of freeform optics
- A background in optical instrumentation for space
Apply Here: https://jobs.workinoptics.com/jobs/rss/18217527/optical-design-engineer