Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
NNSA Requirements for MedPEDs
If you have a Medical Portable Electronic Device (MedPED), such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, drug-releasing pump, hearing aids, or diagnostic equipment and other equipment for measuring, monitoring, and recording body functions such as heartbeat and brain waves, if employed by Sandia National Laboratories you may be required to comply with NNSA security requirements for MedPEDs.
If you have a MedPED and you are selected for an on-site interview at Sandia National Laboratories, there may be additional steps necessary to ensure compliance with NNSA security requirements prior to the interview date.
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a motivated postdoctoral appointee to advance integrated photonics technologies supporting applications in microwave signal processing, optical atomic clocks, atomic inertial sensors and quantum information, using heterogeneous integration, innovative designs, and novel physics phenomena. The postdoc will have opportunities to collaborate with 60+ researchers in Sandia’s National Security Photonics Center, using Sandia’s unique Microsystems and Engineering Sciences Applications (MESA) Fabrication Facility.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform ground-breaking scientific research in broad wavelength integrated photonic platforms through theoretical analysis, simulation, design, and characterization of novel devices and systems for both classical and quantum applications.
- Implement new concepts in device design, measurement, fabrication, and packaging.
- Build world-first application demonstrations with photonic devices.
- Report research results in top-tier journals and conferences.
- Generate new intellectual property through patent filing as applicable.
Qualifications We Require
- PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Optical Science, or other related STEM technical area conferred within five (5) years prior to employment.
- Experience performing original research, demonstrated through a record of invention, original publications in top-tier journals, and conference papers and presentations
- Demonstrated expertise in photonic design and experimental characterization
- Experience in using software for device performance simulations using, for example, COMSOL, MATLAB/Simulink, FDTD codes etc.
- Familiarity with basic knowledge of semiconductor physics and optical materials
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE L clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in the design and test of photonics microsystems: integrated optical circuits with passive and active devices
- Expertise in fabrication, characterization, and usage of various optical materials such at thin film lithium niobate, aluminum oxide, silicon nitride & tantalum pentoxide
- Experience with small-scale optical packaging of silicon photonics devices, including co-packaged with electronic chips
- Strong theoretical background in optical communication, quantum optics and/or quantum information and sensing
- Background with cryogenic or other ultra-cold testing equipment and methods
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment and flexibility to work on multiple projects concurrently
About Our Team
The Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department develops and matures state of the art photonic and phononic technologies for a variety of national security purposes. Our team of interdisciplinary researchers innovates, develops, and applies novel technologies including silicon photonics, nanophotonics, optomechanics, optical metamaterials, plasmonics, optical detectors, guided wave optics, phononic and thermoelectric technologies, spanning fundamental research to path-finding engineering solutions. In the last 10 years, the Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department has generated numerous world-firsts, high-impact publications/journal covers and received 70+ patents, multiple R&D 100 awards, and significant DARPA/DOD/DOE funding awards.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia’s discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378483