Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Assists Cloud Core Platform Architect/Leader (role) to establish overall cloud platform architectural standards and is responsible for developing and maintaining related architecture and design documents; works with other architects as required to make sure the cloud service architecture is aligned with enterprise architectural standards and strategies. This role is responsible for working closely with architect/developers from other cloud service teams, such as Dynamics 365, E-commerce, and Data service teams, to make sure the underlying cloud architecture and technical decisions support their cloud services, service tiers, and OLAs needed to meet business needs. This role will be responsible for designing, building, and testing services components comprising the cloud infrastructure, as well as providing level 3 support. This role is responsible for all aspects of the cloud core platform services design, implementation, and testing. As such, depending on the cloud infrastructure being used, this role can be expected to have deep subject matter expertise for a range of Azure services.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain Azure platform environments and associated automation via Agile delivery methodology and ensure platform controls and monitoring are in place
- As a subject-matter expert, contribute and deliver the formulation of an enterprise-wide baseline of cloud platform architecture and platform services for the implementation, operation, and maintenance of an “Azure Platform-as-a-Service” for a cloud compute model (e.g. landing zones)
- Collaborate with Web, IT, Site, Security, Enterprise App teams to ensure smooth deployment and operation of automation systems.
- Review and influence new and evolving design, architecture, standards, and methods for automation services
- Mentor, coach, train less experienced engineers, technicians, and integrators as well as review documentation, proposals, and changes proposed by less experienced staff.
- Act as a Tier 3 Azure Cloud Engineer to resolve escalated, complex problems, as needed
- Maintains knowledge and understanding of current and emerging technologies, equipment, and systems
- Work with other architects to define components responsibilities, plan components evolution, and ensure components will meet platform standards
- Develop pre and post technical design and platform support documentation
- Build CI/CD pipeline configurations to orchestrate provisioning and deployment of core platform services
- Ensure platform service availability and continuity through proper response to threat incidents and requests
- Provide recommendations on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of cloud architectural elements and strategy, ensuring optimal investment and benefits
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in development, test, and production environments.
- Communicate status and risks to the service-support teams (Web, IT, Site, Security, Enterprise App).
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum experience requires 5+ years in IT and 3+ yrs. as a system engineer within the Azure environment
- Deep understanding of Microsoft Azure IAAS, PAAS and SAAS solutions along with cloud-native design patterns and DevOps principles (Infrastructure as Code) – certifications preferred – 3+ yrs.
- Experience in DevOps (Azure DevOps) and GitOps models with a strong proficiency in translating designs into fully developed infra-as-code, config-as-code, policy-as-code, etc.
- Solid understanding of landing zones, cloud networking concepts (Hub-Spoke), subnets, routing, load balancing, firewalls, and cloud security using Well-Architected Cloud Framework. 3+ yrs.
- Experience in programming and infra-automation tools –ARM, Blueprints, etc. 2+ yrs.
- Experience with Container technologies (Kubernetes, Docker) a definite plus
- Experience incorporating Azure Governance configurations (Azure Policy, Role Based Access Control, Networking Architectures, Cost Management controls, etc.) 2+ yrs.
- Experience in Cloud monitoring, and observability tools – 4+ yrs.
- Must be proficient in PowerShell, Bash, KQL with BICEP desirable – 3+ yrs.
- Strong analytical and design skills including the ability to understand business requirements and translate into technical design
- Excellent problem management skills with the ability to quickly identify and document the root cause
- Excellent communication skills and collaboration skills and the ability to work remotely with a global team
- Minimum of a 4-year degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Willing to support/work off hours and weekends and travel internationally.
- Willingness and ability to take initiative and the desire to continually take on additional responsibilities.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378470