The Reality Labs at Meta (RL) team brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of virtual and augmented reality (VR, AR), which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. And just as personal computers have done over the past 45 years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything about how we work, play, and connect. We are developing all the technologies needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR headsets, including optics and displays, computer vision, audio, graphics, brain-computer interfaces, haptic interaction, eye/hand/face/body tracking, perception science, and true telepresence. Some of those will advance much faster than others, but they all need to happen to enable AR and VR that are so compelling that they become an integral part of our lives.
The AR Optical Metrology and Performance (OMAP) team at Meta focuses on inventing new metrology and characterization methods for AR displays to move the state-of-the-art display and optical technologies forward for AR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The OMAP team is looking for an experienced and driven Optical Metrology Engineer who will work with cross functional teams to define the requirements, lead the development, qualification and implementation of optical metrology equipment for characterizing optical modules and systems in AR products.
Optical Metrology Engineer AR Responsibilities
- Define, design and develop optical metrology solutions including hardware engineering, test software implementation, and instrument qualification.
- Develop benchtop and production instrumentation to characterize complex optical modules and integrated systems (display and optics).
- Perform opto-mechanical simulation at system level.
- Collect and perform statistical analysis on metrology data to correlate to performance metrics.
- Explore novel optical metrology technologies and work with suppliers on prototype development.
- Take complete ownership of transferring metrology technologies from R&D to mass production.
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel required.
- In-depth knowledge of imaging optics, image quality metrics, optical metrology and characterization.
- Experience in opto-mechanical design and simulation using SolidWorks, NX or other CAD tools, Zemax, Code V, LightTools, FRED or other optical design/simulation tools.
- Hands-on experience in optical metrology development from concept to system validation.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in test automation (instrument control, data collection and analysis) using LabVIEW, MATLAB or Python.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 7+ years of experience or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 4+ years of experience.
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis using Minitab or JMP
- Familiar with free-form optical surface metrology.
- Experience in image processing and algorithm development.
- Familiarity with color science.
- Familiarity with display quality metrics.
- In-depth knowledge of Design of Experiments (DOE) methodology, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and Measurement System Analysis.
- Experience in the AR/VR field.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378449