For over 100 years, we’ve manufactured innovative, battle-proven optics products for the world’s most relentless hunters, shooters, law enforcement, and military professionals. We design, build and test our best-in-class products with a single minded focus – to make sure they’ll perform forever.
At Leupold and Stevens we’re American to the Core and passionate about what we do. Product excellence and uncompromising quality are our top priorities. We’ve built a collaborative, high performance culture where team players with innovative ideas and a sense of urgency thrive. We offer a friendly work environment where innovation, quality, and continuous improvement are our focus, and where your ideas matter.
Our benefits package is amazing:
- affordable health and dental insurance
- a strong commitment to training and professional development including an internal skills development program for all manufacturing team members
- a generous tuition reimbursement program
- company contributions up to 8% of base pay into a 401K retirement account
- profit sharing
- and great product discounts (to name a few)
What You’ll Be Doing:
Oversees engineering activity and provides day-to-day leadership to an engineering team focused executing the Company’s technical vision related to optical product improvement, new optical product development, research and development, and competitive technologies.
- Manages, coaches, develops, and provides daily technical guidance to an optical engineering team.
- Designs optical systems and subsystems, performs tolerance analysis, and stray light analysis.
- Performs analysis of data collected for optical systems, sub-systems, and components.
- Acts as primary and/or secondary reviewer of optical and reticle prints.
- Troubleshoots optical and electro-optical systems in proof of concept, prototype, and production when systems do not meet customer requirements.
- Works with leadership as well as internal and external customers to develop and maintain an optical research and development road map that will provide innovation for future products.
- Ability to work within a lab environment in the testing of lenses, reticles, optical subsystems, and optical systems.
- Collaborates with cross-functional engineering disciplines to develop, upgrade, and maintain optical system test stations in both laboratory and manufacturing environments.
- Partners with leadership to communicate the strategic roadmap and execution plan related to products.
- Oversees daily activity tied to the design of prototypes and models and the transition from prototype to product. Ensures sound engineering principles, concepts, and best practices are consistently applied.
- Develops schedules, coordinates resources, establishes priorities and monitors progress.
- Monitors work of retained consultants and other experts.
- Collaborates with other leaders on activities related to the development of new products.
- Prepares and/or participates in design reviews of optical and electro-optical systems.
- Leads or participates on project teams.
- Tracks metrics and success criteria.
- Ensures appropriate documentation is maintained.
- Plans and tracks budget activity.
Skills and Experience You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering and 7-10 years progressive experience in an optical, opto-electronic, or opto-mechanical engineering role. Master’s Degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of optical design engineering concepts, principles, and techniques. In-depth knowledge of optical or electro-optic systems and attributes.
- Experience with all aspects of optical or electro-optic product development, fabrication, and testing cycles.
- Understanding of visual optics, coatings, prisms, filters, detectors, and lasers.
- Experience with optical and opto-mechanical tolerancing and stray light analysis and mitigation techniques.
- Understanding of lens, optical and electro-optical subsystem testing techniques and metrology for laboratory and/or production is desirable.
- Experience with visual optics system design for products such as telescopes, riflescopes, and binoculars, and/or ballistic solver or shooting simulations highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Zemax optical design software.
- Knowledge of shooting sports, hunting, firearms, and associated optics strongly preferred.
- LEAN enterprise experience preferred.
- Strong analytical background and ability to interpret data.
- Strong communication, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to lead a team and work collaboratively across functions to achieve outcomes that support business objectives.
Normal office environment with occasional travel and exposure to manufacturing operations.
For details on positions and to apply, go to:
Leupold & Stevens, Inc.
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, Oregon 97006
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer. A core business objective at Leupold & Stevens is to maintain a workplace in which each employee can achieve their full potential. The company was founded on the principle of giving customers and our team members ‘A Square Deal’; to us, this means advocating for the employment opportunities and advancements of all individuals regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. We resolutely believe all aspects and privileges of employment should be determined by skills and behaviors, not personal identities.
* With our commitment to make our application process and workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities, we will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for an individual applicant to participate in the job application process. To request an accommodation to the application process, please send an email to [email protected] or call (503) 646-9171 and a Leupold & Stevens representative will contact you.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a drug free workplace. All final candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
* Leupold & Stevens, Inc. complies with all applicable FAR & DFAR regulations.
* We hire U.S. citizens and persons lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. All new employees must complete an INS Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). Positions may require a deemed export control license for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Placement is contingent on Leupold & Stevens, Inc.’s ability to apply for and obtain an export control license on your behalf.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378437