Location: Jessup, Maryland
4 Year Degree
Thorlabs is seeking an experienced electro-optic Test Engineer to participate in the development and manufacturing of next generation semiconductor lasers. You will be responsible for taking a laser product line from prototype into manufacturing thru the development of test equipment in support of assembly line packaging and test. This position will require design, assembly, and troubleshooting of both hardware and software in support of manufacturing systems development. Test Engineers work directly with mechanical engineers, assembly personnel, and other electro-optic engineers to ensure that designs and manufacturing techniques will yield products which meet the customer’s specifications.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize and design electro-optic test systems and fixtures
- Prototype, develop, test & qualify new test systems for use in manufacturing
- Create budgets and schedules for these new developments
- Maintain documentation for the system development process
- Create assembly and test work instructions; train personnel
- Specify & purchase all parts and equipment required; interact with vendors
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in similar position
- Experience using .Net and Labview to automate various pieces of test equipment and/or motion control.
- Experience optoelectronic circuits and optical test equipment
- Experience using SolidWorks 2D and 3D Modeling Application.
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab is a plus.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Optical Systems Engineering, Physics/Applied Physics, or related field(s) is required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Problem resolution skills for debugging new designs and assemblies
- Manual dexterity to assemble and align precision opto-mechanical systems
- Thorough understanding of .Net and related SW development environments
- Thorough understanding of Labview
- Tool and fixture making experience is a plus.
- Soldering / Circuit Design Experience is a plus.
- High attention to details
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired. Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments. Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.