Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Academia, Research Laboratory
Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment
Years of Experience:
early stage equity offered, and attractive salary/comp pkgs
Internal Number: HR1222
Sr Optomechanical Design Engineer
Attractive, competitive 6 figure compensation pkg, including early-stage equity, Boston Area
Our client is an early-stage disruptive start-up in the additive manufacturing space. They are developing novel electro-optical-mechanical volumetric printing and materials technologies to advance 3D printing. They are well funded and offering very attractive early-stage equity in addition to attractive compensation and benefits packages. They are seeking a lead opto-mechanical engineer to perform multiple assignments in the conceptualization, design, and development of optical/optomechanical systems for next-generation 3D printers in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment. Successful candidates will be passionate about opto-mechanical system design and analysis, have hands on lab, machining skills, be excited about 3D printing, building machines, and working on complex problems that involve advanced materials, optics, and systems. The good news: it’s serious fun, you’ll wear lots of hats, never be bored, and you will be working with a great team!
- Perform a wide range of mechanical engineering tasks at the system and subsystem levels, for example: defining mechanical system requirements, designing a wide range of mechanical assemblies (for example: mounts for optical components, enclosures, test fixtures, calibration fixtures, etc.), building and aligning mechanical systems, mechanical testing
- Specify and build, or externally source, specified opto-mechanical components
- Brainstorm new system architectures and converge on feasible optical and opto-mechanical designs working closely with our lead optical engineer and other engineers.
- Build, test, and refine prototypes alongside optical engineering team
- Lead or assist in the stand-up of design control, documentation and related methods and infrastructure for new product design. Comply with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment.
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
This is primarily an “in person” not remote role, as lab, hands on hardware work is required.
Travel: Occasional travel may be required from time to time
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical discipline
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with a track record of innovative design work from concept to new product introduction.
- 5+ years experience designing and developing opto-mechanical systems in an industrial setting.
- Broad opto-mechanical engineering design skill set, including experience with optical components (light sources, imaging systems, illumination systems, detectors), stages, positioning components, enclosures, fixtures
- Significant hands-on experience with specifying, building, aligning, and testing mechanical systems, including basic machining experience (light CNC / CAM preferred)
- Experience with mechanical test equipment, tools, and techniques
- Proficient in SolidWorks, including version control
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of team
- Great documentation, experimental design, data analysis, and result recording skills
- MS degree of 10+ years of industry experience in mechanical engineering or closely related field
- Strong ability for hands-on troubleshooting
- Experience in working closely with an optical engineer to design and develop optomechanical assemblies
- Experience with fluid handling a plus
- Experience with design verification and validation, stage gate process, full life cycle product launch
- Experience with thermal and/or mechanical FEA modeling
- Experience in design for manufacturability, DFM
- Experience in bringing an idea from initial concept to prototype to customer ready product
- Experience in collaborating with external stakeholders
- Experience in calibration methods, statistical methods, and data analysis methods
- Experience in working as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience in providing leadership and mentoring to jr engineers
- Experience in coding for instrument control or scripting (C / C++) and data analysis using MATLAB, Python or similar
- Experience with and strong interest in additive manufacturing
- Advanced knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization
About Rudzinsky Associates, client
Since 1968 Rudzinsky Associates (RA) has provided professionals and organizations with unparalleled talent acquisition, retained search, and talent consulting services in all aspects of Optics, and Photonics. Areas covered include: Optical Design/Engineering, Imaging, Electro-Optics, Optical Fabrication, Lasers, Optoelectronics, Fiber Optics, Instrumentation, Silicon Photonics, Advanced Materials, Software, and Electronics, and other related disciplines. RA can provide these services in North America, and globally in Asia, Europe, and Australia.