Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Academia, Research Laboratory
Applications of Visual Science (VA)
Fiber Optics Technology (PF)
Integrated Optics (PI)
Years of Experience:
The European-Based Corporate Events and Marketing Manager is an individual with five for more years of comprehensive experience in the areas of special-event planning/execution and marketing in Europe. The position reports directly to the Deputy Senior Director of Operations and regularly interacts with the Chief Technology Officer.
This position has a range of responsibilities in the areas of Optica’s industry program planning and implementation, vendor sourcing and oversight, speaker and registration administration, on-line production support, budget oversight, promotional planning and execution, as well as post-event evaluation and results reporting. The individual must be self-motivated, self-starting, an effective communicator, hands-on team player, detail- and results-driven, and responsive to stakeholders. The abilities to manage workload and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced non-profit environment are essential to this role.
Responsible for a portfolio of 20-25 top-quality industry-focused speaker programs and networking events taking place around the world and throughout the year. Some are in-person only events, some are purely online interactive discussions (using Zoom).
Key responsibilities include:
- Assists in providing perfect practical support to all Optica constituents, especially those sponsoring or exhibiting at an Optica event.
- Acts as session producer during live on-line events, making sure the next speaker is fully briefed. This requires full familiarity with online events software such as Zoom. The goal is to provide seamless production support to the event host.
Marketing and Communications
Develops comprehensive program plans and works in concert with the Optica Centralized Marketing and the Corporate Communications teams to create accompanying marketing plans that successfully promote each event in the portfolio. Key deliverables include:
- Creates in collaboration with the Centralized Marketing and the Corp. Communications staff a detailed promotion and production schedule for outreach efforts, e.g., dates and frequency of social media posts (presentations/photos/thank you messages), email broadcasts, media releases, mailings, etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree, communications, marketing, hospitality, and operations studies are a plus
- Three or more years of developing, organizing and executing successful C-level industry events as well as relevant marketing management experience
- Excellent track record in the developing and successfully completing programs
- Experience in delivering excellent, empathic client support and service
- Strong track record of high integrity, and good judgment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Excellent process-oriented thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, quality-oriented environment.
- Outstanding time-management skills, anticipating what will be needed next and making sure deadlines are met.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills. French and German fluency would be an advantage but is not a requirement.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills in-person, online, and by phone.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate in a global multi-cultural environment, both within a (remote) team and independently.
- A high level of integrity and accountability and the willingness to go above and beyond expectations to deliver positive results in all areas.
- Proven organizational, administrative, and IT skills.
Estimated Travel: 20% per year travel to Optica and peer events. Note: Travel includes advance site visits on behalf of Optica.
Work Schedule: Must have the ability to undertake a flexible work schedule to enable interaction with international contacts in different time zones.
Optica’s corporate headquarters office is located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] for immediate consideration.
Optica (formerly OSA) is dedicated to promoting the generation, application, archiving, and dissemination of knowledge in optics and photonics worldwide. Founded in 1916, it is the leading organization for scientists, engineers, business professionals, students, and others interested in the science of light. Optica’s renowned publications, meetings, online resources, and in-person activities fuel discoveries, shape real-life applications and accelerate scientific, technical, and educational achievement.