IRflex Corporation is the only U.S. Company totally dedicated to the development and production of innovative fibers and fiber-optic devices for mid-infrared applications from 1.5 to 11 μm for research, sensing, medical and defense industries.
IRflex has several patents on specialty optical fibers and devices and expertise in specailty optical fiber design and development. These strong patent portfolios and intellectual know-how, coupled with advanced manufacturing processes, are the core competencies which enable IRflex to sustain its leadership in the mid-infrared industry and provide cutting-edge products for mid-infrared applications.
Immediate superior: President (subject to change on notice of the company)
Summary: As the Glass Materials Scientist, you will have the ability to understand, follow and develop procedures in your section: chalcogenide glass purification and fabrication. This is a Professional Exempt salary position that can only be performed by working in the facility.
- Participate in the acquisition, installation and operation of high-tech equipment in your section.
- Collecting and analyzing data based on established procedures.
- Perform routine production work with the available equipment in your section according to established standards and procedures to meet the desired specifications.
- Collaborate to improve production processes and optimize the performance of equipment in your section.
- Proceed with the requisition of equipment, consumables and spare parts to ensure adequate supply and an efficient inventory in your section.
- Handle corrosive and hazardous materials under standard safety and health procedures.
- Complete all reports and documents to ensure production control and production monitoring according to established procedures.
- Maintain normal and preventive maintenance of all equipment and tools used in your section.
- Ensure calibration of equipment and other apparatus used in your section.
- Supervise Glass Production Assistant(s).
The list of tasks and responsibilities listed above is summarized and not limitative. This is not a complet and detailed list of tasks and responsibilities that may be performed by the incumbent.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in glass ceramics, materials science.
- Knowledge of glass development and production (mid-IR chalcogenide glass desired).
- Working knowledge of laboratory equipment (DSC, XRF…) including vacuum pump, thermocouple, pressue gauge, temperature controller, oven/furnice, fume hood, DI water system, gas handling system.
- Basic knowledge of glass blowing techniques.
- Fine motor skills (manual dexterity) to handle fragile and complex glassware.
- Able to move up to 50lbs.
- Experience working with a variety of computer software application, such as MS Office, 3D CAD, NI LabView, etc.
- Training in safety and health management (chemical waste, OSHA). Use of solvents and acids.
- Confidence, and willingness to voice opinions in a constructive manner.
- Ability to motivate and manage people.
- Strong team player but also able to work in a self-directed manner.
Due to the nature of our work in the government contract research area, U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident status is a firm requirement.
IRflex is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378344