Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Mechanics Business unit is a world leader in the design and manufacturing of optomechanical components for the photonics industry. The Operations manager will be instrumental to leading our manufacturing and production efforts as well as contribute to our product development roadmap. We rely on a continuous improvement process to ensure that we meet our current and future customer’s needs. This position works closely with senior management to ensure quality products are safely and efficiently produced within scheduled timeline. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Leads a veteran team of managers that oversee day to day operations
- Manages and coordinates mechanical department operation strategies and activities. E.g. product quality, production, planning, and capacity
- Meet Thorlabs’ brand promises to our customers that include quality, inventory, and portfolio
- Develop managers and leaders with the business unit
- Develop strategic partnerships with internal and external customers
- Evaluates OEM (Sales) opportunities and provides input on if/how to proceed
- Collaborates in the development and implementation of organization policies, practices, procedures, and attainment of operating goals.
- Develops and keeps up to date all key metrics for the business unit
- Reviews, analyzes, and prepares management presentations
- Leads department managers is the creation and use of actionable metrics
- Ensures adequate training of staff and employee compliance to organization’s policies and practices.
- Responsible for operating costs and prepares the annual budget in collaboration with direct reports and management.
- Demonstrated success in building a successful team, facilitating change, aligning performance to company values.
- Fosters continuous improvement and continuous improvement culture.
- Leads the way toward best in class work environment for safety, cleanliness, and. worker satisfaction
- Has a passion for photonics and science
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work areas may be noisy at times.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5378340