Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Academia, Research Laboratory
Manager / Supervisor
Years of Experience:
Internal Number: 092922
The Optica Centralized Marketing team is responsible for a comprehensive promotion program that supports publishing, events, awards and recognitions, corporate membership and exhibits sales. The Marketing Manager, Events and Industry, supports a defined portion of this portfolio focusing on both events and industry engagement.
The position provides tactical promotion support to ensure organizational key results are met in meetings attendance, industry engagement and revenue. The position relies heavily on sustaining strong relationships between the marketing team, other Optica teams and relevant volunteers.
Optica Events and Industry Engagement
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing, develops and implements promotion plans to achieve key performance metrics for a select portfolio of Optica events (primarily standalone “topical” meetings) and industry engagement programs.
- Develops and manages content calendars and production schedules to ensure successful project outcomes.
- Ensures Optica events and industry programs are communicated effectively through supplemental channels such as newsletters and calendar listings.
Website, Social and New Media
- Manages digital and multimedia marketing efforts for social media channels, including OFC and Optica Industry LinkedIn groups. Develops and implements an editorial calendar, sourcing content and graphics/media to increase overall engagement.
- Serves as team liaison with the Optica Media Relations team to coordinate and place events and industry engagement content on other Optica social media channels.
- Assumes quality assurance responsibilities on events and industry website content, ensuring accuracy and relevancy, consistency and adherence to brand and style guidelines.
- Ensures Optica Events and industry engagement programs are effectively communicated and cross-promoted.
- Project manages a high-volume, direct marketing effort comprised of print and email tactics; this includes significant time spent collecting/synthesizing program content from multiple subject matter experts, copywriting, facilitating review/approvals and design and production.
- Handles production of collateral pieces including design, print and mail.
- Manages the fulfillment of annual graphics requirements to support Optica events, corporate membership and industry engagement programs—specifically, maintaining an inventory of graphics needs, sourcing relevant theme images to support event topics and committee/speaker headshots and working with graphic designers on fulfillment.
- Administers the fulfillment of trade agreement deliverables to ensure Optica Events are promoted effectively throughout industry media websites and publications.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly effective team player with accomplished oral communication and presentation skills. Must have the ability to articulate and promote marketing strategies and campaigns in a persuasive way to non-marketers.
- Excellent written communication skills (including careful proofreading and copyediting); must have the ability to translate highly technical source material into compelling promotional copy
- Strong project management skills with keen attention to detail and the ability to multi-task to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of complete marketing cycle and ability to demonstrate expertise in all phases; experience producing multi-format marketing collateral (digital, print and multimedia), and managing prospect lists
- Experience with digital marketing (banner ads, web content, content/inbound marketing and Google AdWords)
- Ability to successfully manage relationships with external vendors
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite applications and Google Workspace (especially Google Sheets)
- Comprehensive understanding of all facets of email production and website content management practices
Optica’s corporate headquarters is located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, District of Columbia.
We offer a competitive salary and a full comprehensive benefits suite. Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] for immediate consideration. Optica requires all employees to be fully vaccinated.
Optica is an equal-opportunity employer.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or marketing
- Minimum 5 years professional expertise in all aspects of marketing disciplines
- Experience promoting transfer-of-information industry-based events, meetings, conferences and/or conventions; events both virtual and international are a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of best practices in traditional direct marketing, digital marketing and prospect/lead generation
Optica (formerly OSA) is dedicated to promoting the generation, application, archiving, and dissemination of knowledge in optics and photonics worldwide. Founded in 1916, it is the leading organization for scientists, engineers, business professionals, students, and others interested in the science of light. Optica’s renowned publications, meetings, online resources, and in-person activities fuel discoveries, shape real-life applications and accelerate scientific, technical, and educational achievement.