Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Applications of Visual Science (VA)
Applied Spectroscopy (IS)
Years of Experience:
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 10/4/22
Are you a dynamic, high-energy, self-motivated Publishing Marketing Manager who can multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment? Then Optica is looking for you to join its dynamic team!
The Senior Marketing Manager, Publishing reports directly to the Director of Marketing, Publishing and is responsible for developing, managing, and implementing marketing efforts for products and services produced by the Society’s publishing division. The primary focus of the position will be supporting the marketing of Optica Publishing Group’s peer-reviewed subscription and/or Open-Access journals, although this position will also develop and implement marketing efforts associated with other publishing products and services.
- Devising and executing strategies that drive revenue and usage of Optica Publishing Group’s products and that best meet the needs of its major constituencies – libraries, authors, reviewers, and readers. Analyzing the competitor landscape as it relates to author, editor, and reviewer services offered by others in STM publishing to ensure that Optica Publishing Group is aware of and acting on events, trends, etc., that affect its publishing division and its work.
- Working closely with other members of the publishing division and the centralized marketing team to implement marketing initiatives associated with the Society’s strategic priorities as well as the publishing division’s yearly road map initiatives.
- Developing comprehensive marketing plans annually for assigned journals to drive content usage in subscription journals so as to retain existing or acquire new institutional subscriptions and/or to solicit authors to submit to or download content published in Open-Access journals. Regularly tracking the success of all marketing activities, including the implementation of A/B testing, and adjusting strategies and tactics based on results. Part of campaign tracking involves assisting with the maintenance of a monthly dashboard.
- Executing print, email, online, exhibit, social media and multimedia promotional campaigns outlined in the marketing plans to effectively promote select journals and other products and services as assigned. Implementation of the marketing plans includes the development and distribution of email broadcasts; coordinating targeted list development for print or email promotions; managing the creation and coordination of marketing materials needed for table tops or larger booth exhibitions at industry trade shows for scientists and/or librarians; and producing and scheduling web and print Optica Publishing Group advertisements along with brief product updates for Optica’s websites, print publications, and member newsletters. Preparing reports and presenting the results of all marketing activities to editors for assigned journals on a regular basis is also a key component of this role.
- Following Optica Publishing Group’s brand guidelines, overseeing design of a variety of print and electronic collateral to promote assigned Optica Publishing Group products and services. Materials include brochures; banners and other electronic graphics for social media, web, and emails; flyers and other collateral; advertisements; signage; PowerPoint presentations, etc. Supervising work of internal designers and outside vendors (graphic designers, commercial printers, service bureaus, etc.) as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of direct mail, e-marketing, social media and customer relationship marketing, and brand development and management.
- 5-7 years marketing management experience, preferably with an STM journal publisher and with experience marketing to librarians, authors, and readers.
- Experience in, or an in-depth understanding of, volunteer management and/or scientific societies preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Dynamic individual with strong marketing, planning, and execution skills.
- Strong organizational skills and a keen attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to manage vendors including designers, mail houses, and printers.
- Competency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and Google Suite (sheets, analytics, AdWords, data studio).
- Basic familiarity with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop a plus.
- Excellent oral, verbal, and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively work with all departments within Optica and to successfully represent Optica Publishing Group to journal editors, authors, and members.
We offer a competitive salary and a full comprehensive benefits suite. Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] for immediate consideration.
Optica requires all employees to be fully vaccinated. Optica is an equal opportunity employer.
Optica (formerly OSA) is dedicated to promoting the generation, application, archiving, and dissemination of knowledge in optics and photonics worldwide. Founded in 1916, it is the leading organization for scientists, engineers, business professionals, students, and others interested in the science of light. Optica’s renowned publications, meetings, online resources, and in-person activities fuel discoveries, shape real-life applications and accelerate scientific, technical, and educational achievement.