Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services.
As a CO+I OSP Telecom Engineer, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
You will contribute to building a world-class network infrastructure by working with networking hardware, Optical DWDM, and IP Networks spanning subsea, global, and metro fiber.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day
As a successful OSP Telecom Engineer, your success will be measured by:
- Empower a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspects of datacenter activities
- Outside Plant (OSP) optical design, planning, and engineering for new and existing regions
- Communicate with all peers and departments to ensure optical designs meet Microsoft and Industry standards
- Maintain accurate cable records and updates
- Approving vendor designs, conducting site walks, permitting, and performing quality assurance inspections.
- Reading and understanding highway/road prints, be able to identify conflicts with existing outside plant facilities, and select routing required for work projects.
- Performing on site construction supervision and inspection to ensure design specifications are met by the construction contractor. Further duties will include but are not limited to: redlines, bore design, CAD, and make-ready analysis, field notes, pole survey, sonde conduit, locating, QC prints, butterfly drawings, and preparation of prints.
- Optical fiber test results analysis for Microsoft’s metro, regional fabric, and long-haul networks are delivered adhering to Microsoft Standards
- Learn, live, and coach the One Microsoft culture and values. Lead through change by bringing clarity, generating energy, and delivering success
For this role, please apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications :
- 7+ years of experience required in telecommunications construction management and/or OSP Engineering
- 1+ years’ experience with AutoCAD and GIS solutions
- Must be a US Citizen.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong Project Management skills and critical thinking
- Solid grasp and experience with workflow management
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analytics.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Organizational and time-management skills
- 8+ years of project management skills
- Decision-making skills
- Experience with OSP construction, Telecom Architectural and Optical Transport
- Experience with Network/optical engineering or photonics
- Ability to read and understand High Level Network design documentation
- College or university degree in related discipline (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc.) or 15+ years of equivalent experience
- Certified Optical Network Associate (CONA)
- Certified Professional Data Center Associate or equivalent
Background Check Requirements:
Candidates must meet Microsoft, customer and government security background screening requirements for this role. These requirements currently include, but may change, and are not limited to:
- Microsoft Cloud Screen Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Screen background check upon hire/transfer and every two years after that while in this role.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work