Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Years of Experience:
Optica is recruiting for a Multimedia Designer. The Multimedia Designer, a member of Optica’s marketing team, is responsible for supporting brand and promotion efforts for the organization and specific products and initiatives managed by publishing, events, awards and recognitions, and corporate membership and exhibits.
The individual has knowledge of the foundational principles of good design and applies them to build sophisticated digital assets for direct marketing, social media, short-form video and websites. The Multimedia Designer is an innovator and expert on emerging design trends and the technologies required to implement them.
Product and Programs Support (80%)
- Design brand-compliant graphics in support of marketing and communications efforts, including email promotions, social media campaigns, digital and print advertising, electronic and print collateral/publications, websites and presentations.
- Create multimedia solutions for digital advertising and social media campaigns, including motion graphics and short-form video.
- Support design components of slide presentations, including pitch/sales decks, executive presentations (e.g. either by product, organization specific or a combination of the two) and walk-in/out slides at Optica events.
- Support the design of slides and videos used to recognize speakers and awards recipients at plenary or keynote sessions and awards ceremonies held at Optica events and conferences.
- Design, develop and code email templates across assigned product lines—balancing unique requirements for teams, organizational brand guidelines and the need for a consistent user experience across all communications pieces.
- Assist in selection of compelling images for use in email and web properties, such as newsletters, event promotion, industry report releases and more. Provide photo editing and retouching as needed.
- Provide data visualization support as needed for monthly marketing dashboards, event surveys and industry “market update” reports.
- Support Marketing Directors in the selection of event photographers and videographers. Liaise with event photographers to communicate specifications for image files. Perform quality assurance checks on submitted files, and communicate with photographers on photo editing needs. Assist in the production of videos through the compilation of visual elements such as B-roll, stock video and images and Optica images.
- Collaborate with Optica web design team on creating page templates for campaign landing pages, websites and web-based interactives. (e.g., photo galleries, video libraries). Provide support (whether design, review or both) in the development of wireframes, page design mock-ups and prototypes.
- Design web optimized graphics, illustrations, photos and web icons.
- Prepare and package all design files and keep an orderly archive of projects.
- Manage the annual inventory of recurring graphics needs across product lines, but especially for Optica events. Fulfill annual graphics assets in support of Optica events, including sourcing relevant theme images that align with meetings topics and high-quality committee and speaker headshots.
- Support print and digital advertisements with trade partners for Optica events and conferences. Working with an inventory of needs as required by trade agreements, design and complete necessary artwork on schedule.
Training and Best Practices
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in email marketing, digital advertising and social media design.
- Train marketing team members on new design technologies, trends and best practices. Build and maintain detailed style guides and documentation.
Brand Support (20%)
- Support the Senior Director of Brand and Enterprise Marketing in developing graphics and collateral that promote the organization and its core values—as outlined in an annual Optica brand marketing plan.
- Assist in the evaluation of the Optica master brand guidelines to ensure continuous improvement as a tool for successful and consistent brand application across all marketing and communication channels. Provide design support to resolve brand design challenges.
- As requested, educate vendors on brand guidelines in advance of design projects. Serve as a reviewer of brand projects executed by external agencies, specifically to confirm correct applications of brand guidelines and faithful use of templates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, digital or visual arts, or combination of education and experience
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience at a creative agency, production studio, technology company or as part of an in-house marketing or creative services team.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly effective team player with excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills. Must have the ability to articulate and defend design choices in an understandable way to designers and non-designers alike.
- Strong project management skills, with a keen attention to detail and an ability to multi-task to meet competing deadlines required
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, especially as it relates to implementing product and/or organizational brand guidelines in service of bold design concepts
- Enthusiastic about and proactive in researching current design technologies and developing new skills
- PC Windows and Mac OS platforms
- Adobe Creative Suite applications—especially Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat
- Presentation applications (e.g., Keynote or advanced functionality in PowerPoint)
- Content management systems (e.g., Kentico)
- Professional video editing applications, such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Apple Final Cut Pro; and post-production effects and motion graphics, such as Adobe After Effects or Mocha AE.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]