Location: Livermore, California
Type: Full Time
Required Education: Doctorate
Academia, Research Laboratory
Years of Experience:
Internal Number: 2859671
Laser Physicist-Long & Short Pulsed Laser Systems
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a highly experienced Laser Physicist to independently guide the development, research, design, analysis, modeling, testing, and fielding of advanced laser technologies and systems. You will provide technical direction to an interdisciplinary team developing and deploying state-of-the-art high-intensity, long and short pulse laser systems for the Department of Energy (DOE) and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). Much of the work in this group focuses on designing and modeling novel laser architectures as well as extending the capabilities of the National Ignition Facility (NIF), which is the world-leader on laser driven nuclear fusion research, with recent experiments on the threshold of ignition. This position is in the NIF & Photon Science Directorate within the Laser Science & Systems Engineering group.
In this role, you will
- Provide strategies and direct efforts of interdisciplinary teams that research, design, develop, integrate, and field or enhance in performance advanced, high-energy laser systems, high peak power lasers and high average power laser technologies, incorporating essential new physics models and new technologies to meet priorities of evolving missions.
- Guide systems design and apply system-level engineering principles to a wide variety of advanced laser design and analysis projects using novel approaches to develop operational, system and subsystem solutions.
- Lead integrated experiments in the fields of nonlinear optics, long & short pulse, high-power and high-energy laser physics, or laser secondary source generation.
- Develop complex theoretical and numerical systems models needed to corroborate or anticipate experimental results that test advanced, coupled physics and modeling capabilities in collaboration with laboratory scientists and engineers.
- Provide recommendations to leadership and technical team regarding project vision and strategy independently, under minimal supervision and influence technical direction for self and others, while providing technical and intellectual leadership on research and development projects.
- Prepare and provide technical presentations and publications for internal and external audiences.
- Advise senior management on involved technical strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities may include
- Utilization of highly advanced knowledge and expertise to guide and oversee research, design, and enhancement or development of state-of-the-art laser systems including elements that are frequently not well defined and often involve uncertain factors.
- Application of subject matter expertise and leadership in Joule-class short-pulse amplification, in hundred+ Joule-class long-pulse amplification, thermal/birefringence effects, or nonlinear optical effects to further evolve missions.
- Leading and performing highly complex and detailed signal and image analysis of extensive, highly intricate, and integrated laser performance experiments and their corresponding modeling.
- Development of in-depth and highly complex nonlinear optics models – fiber or free-space – from their theoretical aspect to their numerical implementation potentially for massively parallel high-performance computer systems to explain the detailed and integrated performance of laser systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Laser Physics, Applied Physics, general solid-state laser engineering, high average power laser technology and thermal, birefringence management techniques, short and long pulse laser physics, and/or nonlinear optics as applied to laser development, modeling, applications, and operations or related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with complex analytical, numerical modeling and experiments needed to make recommendations and lead strategies for scientific and/or technical projects.
- Significant experience in systems architectures for advanced laser design and analysis projects.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience recommending, developing, and implementing solutions to a diverse range of difficult and complex problems.
- Experience guiding, leading, and mentoring team members.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management.
Additional desired job qualifications may include
- Substantial knowledge and subject matter expertise developing highly complex state-of-the-art laser systems in an R&D environment.
- Expert level knowledge and expertise in Joule-class short pulse amplification or in hundred+ Joule-class long pulse amplification, thermal effects, or nonlinear optical effects and their respective modeling.
- Substantial experience developing and utilizing highly complex laser performance and/or laser propagation modeling codes from their theoretical aspect to their numerical implementation potentially in massively parallel high-performance computer systems.
To learn more about NIF click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8MbTLtMVI&t=30s
10 years of NIF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZIx5JUHbc
NIF’s Threshold of Ignition: https://youtu.be/8lN7PhJQbXY
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/find-your-job/all/ref1793v/3743990000162093
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.