Location: Long Island City, New York
Type: Full Time
Preferred Education: Masters
Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment
Integrated Optics (PI)
Laser Systems (PL)
Photonic Detection (PD)
Years of Experience:
2 openings available.
Voyant Photonics is creating a new class of LiDAR devices that fit in the palm of your hand, measure range, velocity, and reflectivity more accurately than anything available today, with costs low enough to meet the needs of any system.
We are revolutionizing machine perception, developing low-cost sensors built on silicon photonic chips smaller than your finger tip.
Interested in a career at a young and venture-backed startup making real products out of cutting-edge research in silicon photonics? Come join us! We are based in the heart of New York City.
Senior Electro-Optical System Engineer
Working closely with each member in our system team, you’ll be leveraging both your software and hardware engineering skills to design the best lidar-on-chip system architectures achieved by developing the most innovative and robust photonics control methods and algorithms. Your work will ensure that everyone’s efforts result in a robust, compelling, commercial product.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to join a small team and be involved with every aspect of cutting-edge photonics development.
What you will be doing:
- Design, test, and deploy control methods and algorithms for both prototypes and products.
- Drive physical, software and electronics requirements, and flow down requirements to any and all subsystems as required.
- Build system or subsystem models based on statistical component level test data. Use these models to inform architectural decisions and optimize the system’s performance.
- Working with suppliers for prototype design, test, and manufacturing.
- Support on-going engineering works.
What we need from you:
- MS with 2+ years of experience in designing and testing photonics and optical systems.
- Experience in design, modelling, and testing photonics/optics systems.
- Hands on experience and troubleshooting in the lab testing electrical or optical devices using equipment such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, power meters, lasers, passive optical components, and source measure units
- Track record of setting up automated optical or electrical test stations independently
- Solid understanding of optical fundamentals e.g. polarization, interference, and dispersion
- Proficient programming skills using MATLAB or Python
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and facilitate collaboration between different departments
If you are a skilled scientist or engineer seeking an opportunity at a well-funded early, stage startup who takes shipping innovative, world changing products seriously- this is a great job for you.