This position performs projects to maintain the products of the division. Provides support to purchasing and production with troubleshooting and product, document, or process modifications. This is done through the generation and revision of technical drawings, standardized documents, and data entry. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, the very rare occasion may require undertaking duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Take on engineering projects with existing knowledge about products relating to free space optics, fiber optics, and opto-mechanics.
- Create and revise 3D CAD models, in addition to manufacturing and support drawings.
- Generate and revise controlled documents such as work or assembly instructions, specification sheets, and product manuals.
- Implement product and process revisions through engineering change orders.
- Perform product testing to ensure performance specifications are met.
- Interact with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to company products.
- Perform training of new or revised controlled documentation for production teams.
- Conduct meetings to present engineering projects to engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Perform liaison function between engineering team and all manufacturing operations for any related issues, problems, or improvements.
- Formalize technical data such as qualification test procedures, acceptance test procedures, reports, component maintenance manuals, etc.
- Support engineering projects through aid in market analysis, identifying applications, gathering customer requests, manufacturing capabilities, costs, capacity, projected sales, and any other driving forces.
- Interact with vendors and purchasers concerning supplied and proposed components.
- Advise supervisor of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Assists lab testing, manufacturing, quality, and planning as required.
- Reviews the work of other team members and provides feedback before ultimately approving projects.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.