Location: Newton, New Jersey
Preferred Education: 4 Year Degree
Engineering and Technology: Engineering
The position is responsible for assisting with the development of software supporting and pertaining to the products in the Thorlabs catalog. The position also involves providing technical support to the Thorlabs customer base on matters involving the software developed by Thorlabs. The position works with several other application and design engineers that have years of experience covering the Thorlabs portfolio of optics, lasers, polarization, fiber, opto-mechanics, spectroscopy, microscope imaging systems, OCT, thin film coating and more. Between onsite lab opportunities and peer review, the position can be exposed to every facet of the photonics industry. The position is primarily at our headquarters in Newton, NJ but there may also be opportunities to travel to tradeshows, other Thorlabs manufacturing facilities (foreign and domestic), and training events on and offsite.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Create programming tutorials and examples to answer customer questions about operating Thorlabs’ products individually and within integrated systems.
- Investigate, report, and assist with fixing bugs in Thorlabs software.
- Assist software development teams create documentation and develop secondary SDKs.
- Beta test and provide feedback on newly developed GUI interfaces and SDKs to confirm ease of use and consistent look and feel.
- Write custom software to be used in internal applications to explore various optical phenomena.
- Train new team members on writing software to integrate and troubleshoot Thorlabs’ products.
- Develop Marketing Materials like test data, white papers, or video.
- Disseminate user feedback and product ideas on internal forums to support product development.
- Become skilled in the use of our products and test equipment to influence the design of next generation photonics products.
- Interface with multiple support teams around the world.
- Provide technical support via phone, web chat & e-mail to customers worldwide.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Will accept recent college graduate with Bachelor’s Degree. Experience with optics, mechanics, lasers, electrical components, programming a plus.
- BSc, MSc, PhD degree in Optics, Physics or a related Engineering field or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Required: Proficiency in C# and C++
- Recommended: Working knowledge of LabVIEW, Python, and MATLAB
- Knowledge of Photonics and Laser Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- Strong communication proficiency.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of multi-disciplinary problems.
- The position is a 40hr/week position. The team starts at staggered times to cover our 8am – 8pm hours of operation.