Location: Long Island City, New York
Type: Full Time
Required Education: Doctorate
Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment
Integrated Optics (PI)
Photonic Detection (PD)
Years of Experience:
Voyant Photonics is creating a new class of LiDAR devices that fit in the palm of your hand, measure range, velocity, and reflectivity more accurately than anything available today, with costs low enough to meet the needs of any system.
We are revolutionizing machine perception, developing low-cost sensors built on silicon photonic chips smaller than your finger tip.
Senior Silicon Photonics Engineer
At Voyant Photonics, we’re working at the forefront of large-scale photonic-electronic systems to enable 3D depth perception for autonomous machines. We’re looking for innovative thinkers excited to help shape cutting-edge technology at a fast-paced start-up.
As Senior Silicon Photonics Engineer, you will be working to define the photonic architecture of our lidar system with an opportunity to innovate at both the systems level and the component level. This role will include hands-on design, simulation, and testing as well as closely interfacing with fabrication and packaging teams and vendors.
What you will be doing:
- Design and simulate photonic components and system-level functionality and performance
- Prototype novel photonic components and architectures
- Work closely with the fabrication team and external manufacturing partners for component design, process integration, and performance monitoring.
- Develop component and system-level optical testing plans and optoelectronic testing setups. Perform hands-on photonic component and optical system-level testing. Work with the product team to transition/scale testing for performance evaluation.
- Contribute to the expansion of our IP portfolio through patent filing
What we need from you:
- Strong understanding of planar waveguide optics, both passive components such as waveguides, multiplexers/demultiplexers, tapers, couplers and active such as waveguide detectors modulators and lasers
- Strong understanding of photonic system-level design concerns
- Strong understanding of photonic component-level design concerns
- Experience in photonic fabrication
- Good understanding of CMOS manufacturing process steps and constraints on the design of photonic devices
- Proficient with mainstream photonic components and systems simulation packages such as Lumerical, COMSOL or Fimmwave
- Proficient with complex optoelectronic lab testing techniques and equipment, necessary to validate designs, including high speed detectors, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, precision positioning setups
- Collaborative in a multi disciplinary startup environment, ability to work both with local and remote team members as well as with our manufacturing partners
- Capable of coaching and mentoring new or junior engineers;
- Independent, analytical thinker, comfortable in a fast-paced dynamic frontier technology environment,
- Top tier Ph.D. with research in silicon photonics with 2+ years’ experience
If you are a skilled scientist or engineer seeking an opportunity at a well-funded, early stage startup who takes shipping innovative, world changing products seriously, this is a great job for you.