Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Editor / Technical Writer
Years of Experience:
Optica is recruiting for an OPN Managing Editor. The OPN Managing Editor (ME) oversees day-to-day operation of the print, online, e-newsletter and social-media operations of Optics & Photonics News, the flagship news and feature magazine of Optica (formerly OSA), the society Advancing Optics and Photonics Worldwide. OPN covers the broad world of optical and photonic science and is read by a global audience of more than 22,500 scientists, engineers and professionals.
The ME is responsible for managing editorial and content calendars, enforcing deadlines, developing story and content ideas in partnership with the Senior Editor and Associate Editor, assigning stories to staff or freelance writers as needed, supervising the OPN Associate Editor and freelance contributors, tracking image permissions, reviewing print and online content before publication, writing and editing as required, and other responsibilities as assigned. The ME works closely with the OPN Senior Editor, the OPN Creative Director, the OPN Associate Editor and other Optica staff to ensure content of the highest quality for the magazine’s audience.
Editorial calendar management
- Oversee and manage overall production schedule for OPN print.
- Maintain calendar of scientific and historical feature articles and schedule of deadlines for monthly magazine issues.
- Develop story ideas for, plan and maintain content calendar for OPN’s “Pulses” section (departments/columns).
- Plan and maintain daily calendar of freelance and staff-written news articles, and work with associate editor on selection of news stories for monthly print news section and Optica member news section.
- Negotiate deadlines and enforce deadline compliance on overall content calendar with staff, freelance and volunteer authors.
Workflow management and editorial oversight
- Assign stories to staff and freelance contributors; provide feedback and information on story development; manage and process invoices from freelances.
- Review and top-edit staff-written stories; edit selected articles; review all edited material for format and compliance prior to layout, posting or production.
- Work with creative director, senior editor and associate editor on visual possibilities for stories and features. Working with creative director, associate editor and special-projects assistant, ensure receipt of required permissions on artwork, visuals and other media.
- Review proofs of all content before publication, taking responsibility for overall accuracy and quality.
- Oversee associate editor on development, writing and editing of quarterly Optica Europe News newsletter; manage production of semi-monthly OPN e-newsletter, drawn from print and online material.
- Other oversight responsibilities related to social media and other content.
- Supervise OPN Associate Editor, collaboratively setting goals, providing feedback on writing and editorial work, and facilitating professional development.
- Manage relationships with and work associated with existing freelance contributors, and recommend new freelance resources as appropriate.
Writing, editing and content creation
- Write and edit selected online news stories and occasional print articles; substantive edits on some print content.
- Write summaries, blurbs, deks, captions and other content as required.
- Participate in weekly OPN planning and monthly art meetings.
- Other responsibilities as directed by OPN Senior Editor.
Education and experience:
- Four-year degree required with a major in journalism, English, communications or a related subject preferred. A strong background in science and technology topics and culture is highly desirable. A minimum of five years’ editorial and writing experience in a magazine or scientific journal context, including some calendar management and supervisory experience.
Skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated skills in time and project management, and with coordinating multiple deadlines across several products at the same time.
- Solid, professional-level editorial, copyediting, proofreading, writing, and research skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with myriad team members; strong abilities in managing and interacting with people.
- Experience with communicating science to audiences at multiple levels of technical sophistication.
- Strong interest in science and technology issues; demonstrated ability to quickly come up to speed on unfamiliar technical topics.
- Knowledge of print and web publishing.
- Solid skills with Microsoft Office suite required; hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite and web content management tools strongly preferred.
- Image- and multimedia-editing skills desirable.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]