Location: Plymouth, Minnesota
Preferred Education: Doctorate
Government and National Lab
Research and Development
Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
The future is what you make it.
When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future.
That means changing the way we fly, fueling jets in an eco-friendly way, keeping buildings smart and safe and even making it possible to breathe on Mars.
Working at Honeywell isn’t just about developing cool things. That’s why all of our employees enjoy access to dynamic career opportunities across different fields and industries.
Are you ready to help us make the future?
Honeywell’s Advanced and Applied Technology organization is seeking an exceptional Atomic, Molecular, and Optical (AMO) experimentalist to join its Advanced Sensing Technology group located in Plymouth, Minnesota, a team of scientists and engineers translating today’s research into tomorrow’s sensors for air and space applications. We are currently developing and deploying such cutting-edge technology as: ultra-stable inertial sensors based on atom interferometry, precision timing references based on laser cooled atoms, compact magnetometers based on NV diamond, and ultra-wideband electromagnetic sensors based on Rydberg atoms, among a wide variety of other projects and programs which evolves and grows to meet the evolving needs of our customers and sponsors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as part of our team of scientists and engineers to develop new atomic sensor technology concepts, and then demonstrate them in practical devices.
- Engage with customers and partners to define their needs and requirements, then apply your skills to find creative solutions through rigorous analysis, engineering, and experimentation.
- Effectively communicate your ideas and results to research sponsors, scientific peers, and business leadership, through effective presentations, publications, and the writing of proposals.
- Use your expertise to spur the growth of our technology portfolio in new directions, shaping the future of sensing technology.
YOU MUST HAVE
- Ph.D. in physics, applied physics
- Research experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Experimental Atomic, Molecular, and Optical (AMO) Physics.
- Laser Cooling and Trapping of Ions or Neutral Atoms
- Atomic Clocks
- Precision Measurement
- Atom Interferometry
- Track record of solving difficult, complex problems through innovation, analysis, engineering, and experimentation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills reflected in a record of published results and public presentations in your field of research.
- Due to contractual agreements, all applicants must be US Citizens or Permanent Residence.
- Hardware experience with
- Laser systems including diode lasers and ultra-stable optical cavities.
- Microwave frequency (>6 GHZ) test and measurement equipment.
- UHV (1E-9 Torr) methods and apparatus
- Fiber optic components
- Analog and digital circuitry
- Integrated photonics
- Software experience with
- COMSOL or other multiphysics simulation software
- LabView or other experimental control software
- The ability to work in a diverse team.
- JOB ID: req330418
- Category: Engineering
- Location: 12001 State Highway 55,Plymouth,Minnesota,55441,United States
- Due to US export control laws, must be a US citizen, permanent resident or have protected status.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.