Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
As a Senior Manager of Optical Engineering team, you will be responsible for the optics component/system design, development and quality of consumer electronic devices, hiring and development of the optical engineering team, continuous improvement and implementation of best practices. You will take responsibility for leading project teams, technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives, at times delegating tasks to achieve your objectives and mentoring junior engineers. You will demonstrate cross-functional team leadership, working closely with the Product Design, Industrial Design, System Engineering, Reliability, Product Management, and other teams to accomplish your goals. You will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary team to conceive and develop innovative technology and products. You will work closely with outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and test. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative environment.
- Manage and build the optical engineering team; set a high bar and hire the best talents in the industry.
- Serve as the architect for optical subsystems through the entire product life cycle, from road-mapping through design in to mass-production support.
- Guide the team in optical design process, design reviews, and solving hard problems.
- Manage the technical relationship with vendors to deliver new optical components/modules to the required specification and schedule.
- Function as a subject matter expert on a variety of optics technologies by providing technology roadmap, industry up-to-dates, and initiate technology and product concepts.
- Travel to supplier and contract manufacturer sites world-wide to support product development activities (10% – 20% travel).
· Bachelor’s degree in Optics or Physics.
· 10+ years’ experience leading optical, opto-electronic, opto-mechanical technology and product development, and manufacturing techniques.
· Expert in one or more of the following optical technology domains (diffractive optics, imaging, illumination system, thin films, polarization optics)
· Familiar with optical test methods and qualification of electronic imaging systems.
· 5+ years’ experience managing engineering teams.
· Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually.
· Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments.
· Deeply technical with a track record of successful delivery as an individual contributor and leader
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Willing and able to travel internationally.
· Master’s degree in Optics or Physics
· Proven track record leading engineering teams through the whole development cycle
· Hands-on optical modeling/simulation experience and fluent with JMP/MATLAB, LightTools, Zemax or equivalents.
· Experience delivering several optics-based products to market
· Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
· Experience working with interdisciplinary teams to execute product development from concept to production.
· Demonstrated the ability to engage technology developers to track and apply emerging technologies
· Developed functional specifications, design verification plans and functional test procedures
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5377126