Location: Boulder, Colorado
Type: Full Time
Preferred Education: Doctorate
Salary: $95 k – 112 k plus bonus
Years of Experience:
Compensation includes health insurance, 401k, holidays, PTO, and bi-annual bonus payments.
SLS is hiring a physicist to build frequency stabilized laser and frequency comb systems. Compensation includes health insurance, 401k, holidays, PTO, and bi-annual bonus payments.
Stable Laser Systems is a world leader in building frequency stabilized lasers. We are a small company of ~ 15 employees located in Boulder, CO. SLS works at the cutting edge of commercially available stabilized laser systems and has enjoyed tremendous growth over the last several years.
- Design, construction, and characterization of frequency stabilized lasers at the 3×10-16 level up to the 10-14 level for a wide range of applications
- Use of frequency combs for optical frequency stability measurements
- Development of custom projects as required by customers
- Interacting with customers at trade shows, on customer visits, during projects, and for continued product technical support
This position will interact closely with the engineering and scientific staff at SLS. A large part of our business is providing custom work: offering novel, flexibly engineered solutions to leading companies and research institutions in the photonics, precision metrology, and quantum computing industries.
The role requires strong technical and problem-solving skills in an area that commands rapid and solid knowledge of laser frequency stabilization systems. Your background could well be metrology or atomic physics.
Travel (10%) to trade shows may be required, as well as travel to centers in the US, Europe, and China (someday).
Come experience the benefits and flexibility of working in an agile small company while providing unrivaled, industry-leading technology and support to the world’s quantum information systems, precision metrologists and spectroscopists.
- Precision measurement abilities and experience, characterization of low noise and stable oscillators for phase noise and Allan deviation
- Debugging optical systems that aren’t at specified operating level
- Solid understanding of phase-locked loops and experience operating them
- Experience with Fabry-Perot cavity use and alignment,
- Knowledge of the Pound-Drever-Hall technique, particularly experience with frequency stabilization to diode, Ti:Sapphire, and fiber lasers
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Data gathering and measurement techniques for phase noise and frequency stability measurements
- Engineering and/or experimental physics skills
- Python and/or Matlab
- Analog or digital electronics
- US citizenship or permanent residence
Education & Experience
- MSc or PhD degree in an experimental photonics-related field (Physics, Engineering, Applied Science)