The Sensors and Systems Research (SSR) group at Meta Reality Labs Research (formerly Facebook Reality Labs Research) is seeking a full time Research Scientist to innovate, build, and demonstrate novel optical imaging and sensing systems. This individual will utilize skills in optical system design, optical system prototyping, and advanced optical experimentations. Candidates with significant experience in demonstrating novel design and concepts using advanced optical imaging and sensing modalities and complex system level design are encouraged to apply. This is an opportunity to spearhead novel sensing projects and to work with a broad range of cross-disciplinary collaborators to build new domain expertise.
- Design, prototype, experiment, and demonstrate advanced optical imaging systems from theories.
- Design, develop, characterize, and optimize new optical imaging or depth sensing prototypes.
- Develop new methodologies to evaluate experimental results and correlate with theoretical expectations and simulations.
- Contribute to publications in the field of optical imaging, sensing and physical optics.
- Collaborate with research scientists, optical designers, and engineers across both internal and external research partners.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Optical Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields.
- 4+ years of research experience with system-level prototyping, including individual work constructing bench-top advanced optical imaging systems, and characterizations.
- 3+ years of experience in optical laboratories and experience with test automation (e.g., LabVIEW, MATLAB, C, or C++).
- 2+ years of experience working with image processing, electronic device controls and synchronizations.
- 2+ years of experience with optical simulation tools (Zemax, FDTD, RCWA, FRED, ASAP or Code V).
- Interpersonal experience: Cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Experience working with active optical light sources and light source modulators.
- Experience with physical, Fourier, or silicon photonics.
- Experience with metamaterials, liquid crystal physics, or polarization optics.
- Proven track record of achieving significant research results, as demonstrated by first-authored publications in leading journals or conferences (e.g., OSA, IEEE, and SPIE), grants, fellowships, or patents.
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]