This position is responsible for the daily support of the Polarization Assembly area as well as completing projects related to the assigned area. Working within the Manufacturing Engineering system the key goals are, Product line and defect rate quality, on time delivery and schedule attainment, and profit optimization. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of assigned area(s) manufacturing and metrology skills to provide daily support.
- Data collection and analysis using centralized database system for Statistical Process Control.
- Problem solving: responsible for identifying problems, and providing solutions for manufacturing issues.
- Participate in design reviews with engineering department to help identify and discuss proper procedures and potential issues with newly developed products prior to releasing for production.
- Develop new processes and equipment in support of R&D and Product Development teams.
- Training and collaboration with production personnel to continue improving on existing manufacturing and testing processes throughout the division.
- Collaborate with the RMA and service departments to help inspect and disposition customer returns from the field. Identify, and assist in implementing root cause analysis and corrective actions to prevent future failures.
- Collaborate with assembly personnel to create or make necessary revisions to manufacturing documentation for division products.
- Create necessary jigs and fixtures to improve production efficiency or reduce component damage and waste.
- Help create and maintain production routing steps and timing for newly released and existing products.
- Keep current with newest manufacturing techniques within the industry and look for opportunities to implement.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5 years of work experience in a related field or education level stated below.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge and Microsoft Office skills.
- Experience with 3D modeling, Drafting, and/or GD&T using programs like SolidWorks a plus.
- Experience with programming software and databases for modeling and building applications to support manufacturing using programs like MatLab, LabView, Visual Basic, and Access a plus.
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects Analysis).
- Technical and/or Manufacturing knowledge in the field of Optics, Fiber Optics, and/or Opto-Mechanics.
- Experience with metrology equipment such as calipers, microscopes, interferometers, and spectrophotometers.
- Hands on experience in a lab or manufacturing environment.
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong attention to detail.