Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This is a full-time, senior level, product development position at Thorlabs-UFO (Ann Arbor, MI) a division of Thorlabs, Inc. The charter of UFO is to design, develop, and manufacture leading edge, high-speed opto-electronics product in concert with the broad technical base of Thorlabs’ other business units. This person will be a key engineer responsible for the conceptualization, modelling and design of complex electronic circuits used in new UFO products. These circuits will contain analog, digital, microcontroller, and RF elements.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the design, simulation, layout, validation, and documentation of complex mixed-signal electronic circuits for high-speed instrumentation
- Test, validation, and debugging of mixed-signal and RF electronics
- Design microcontroller-based circuits for system control and display
- Coordinate prototyping and procurement of bare board and PCB assemblies
- Prototype and modify PCB assemblies – working with the aid of a stereo microscope
- Write assembly, test, and quality procedures associated with electronic systems
- Work closely with embedded firmware and software engineers
- Troubleshoot issues with electrical systems, both new and existing
- Support manufacturing in assembling, testing, and troubleshooting issues with electronic systems
- Maintain documentation for the product development & NPI process
- Write support documentation, manuals, application notes
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law
- Experience with full product life cycle (requirements, design, implementation, simulation, verification) of mixed signal design.
- 5+ years of mixed-signal design, simulation, build & debug experience
- Experience with test instrumentation including the following:
- oscilloscopes, spectrum & network analyzers, pattern generators (including PRBS)
- Experience with PCB vendors, procurement, and quality management
- Experience developing complex commercial instrumentation
- BS or MS in EE or related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Deep understanding of analog, digital, mixed signal & RF circuit design
- Analog circuit design and layout – low-noise instrumentation, power supply design
- RF/Microwave circuit design and layout – RF circuit design, transmission lines, signal integrity
- Digital circuit design and layout – microcontroller selection, digital comm. busses (I2C, SPI, LVDS)
- Simulation – Familiarity with analog circuit simulation required (spice), RF and/or microwave simulation preferred (linear circuit simulation, S-parameter simulation, electromagnetic simulation)
- Testing – Must be proficient with high-speed time domain testing (oscilloscope) and frequency domain preferred (spectrum analyzer, network analyzer)
- Familiar with EMC/EMI requirements and design for low noise
- Deep experience with Altium for design and layout
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment on interface technology in product specification, device characterization and chip level verification
- Strong problem solving and design of experiment (DOE) skills
- Candidate must be detail oriented, highly organized, & able to document work
- Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5376954