At Facebook Reality Labs, our goal is to make world-class consumer virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. Come work alongside world leading scientists and engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world. We are currently seeking innovative scientists with experience developing high performance simulation algorithms for advanced optical and photonic device modeling and simulations. This is a full-time position and requires an advanced degree in optical engineering, physics, or similar, and a strong background in optical system design and innovation as well as proficient software development skills. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a dynamic cross-functional team.
- Participate as a key member on the novel algorithmic breakthrough of high performance simulation algorithm to enable better AR/VR hardware design.
- Adapt standard electromagnetic simulation algorithms to develop high performance code and exploit modern computational environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multi-threading, vectorization, GPU).
- Re-evaluate the existing shipped simulation algorithms and framework and drive large efforts to improve the performance and reduce technical debt, designing from first principle when appropriate.
- Contribute to strategically plan on new algorithms and advanced simulation capabilities for future product and technologies.
- PhD or equivalent experience in photonics, optics, physics or similar fields
- Experience with geometric, physical optics, diffractive or micro-optics, with an emphasis on modeling and simulations
- 3+ years experience with electromagnetic modeling and analysis of light propagation in nanoscale structures, anisotropic materials, films, or holographic elements
- 3+ years experience with algorithm development for electromagnetic light propagation (RCWA, FDTD etc.) and implementation of code with C++
- Experience with code profiling and optimization in the high performance computing context
- Experience with methods of light propagation both in wave and ray domains as well as in mixed models
- Experience with optical design and modeling methods and tools for imaging and illumination systems
- Experience of demonstrating technical leadership working with teams, owning projects, defining and setting technical direction for projects
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Experience with distributed systems and parallel computing
- Experience with GPU (CUDA) development
- Experience with Python programming languages
- Experience with machine learning and deep neural network
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]