The Photon Science Department at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford University invites applications for an open rank, tenure line position at the Assistant Professor level or a tenured position at the Associate or Full Professor level. The SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory designs, builds, operates, and utilizes world leading scientific research facilities at the forefront of X-ray and ultrafast science, cryogenic electron microscopy and tomography, high-brightness electron accelerators, and high power lasers. We are looking for applicants with stellar achievements and promise within the broad field of Photon Science with an emphasis on candidates that will transform the development and application of the current and next generation scientific research facilities at SLAC.
We encourage applicants from a diverse range of disciplines and a broad range of scientific skills to apply. Research areas of interest include:
- Biosciences with an emphasis on developing structural methods and applications
- Condensed matter physics with an emphasis on understanding and manipulating the function and emergent properties of quantum materials
- Materials science and engineering with an emphasis on understanding how material properties dictate device function
- Molecular and chemical sciences with an emphasis on developing chemical imaging methods with applications in photon and electron driven chemistry and catalysis
- Plasma physics with an emphasis on theory and simulation
- X-ray and optical science with an emphasis on developing transformative methods and technology for characterizing molecules and materials with atomic resolution
Additionally, we encourage applicants from a diverse range of research backgrounds to apply, including:
- Theory, computation, and simulation method development and application
- Laser and x-ray light source development and application
- Electron accelerator research and development
- Synchrotron radiation and electron microscopy instrumentation and method development, including optics, detectors, and in-situ instrumentation
- Machine learning and data science development for science applications
Applicants should submit: (1) a statement of no more than 3 pages describing the applicant’s prior and current research and their vision and plans for future research; (2) a statement of no more than 3 pages describing the applicant’s experience and approach to teaching, mentoring, and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for education and research; (3) a cover letter; (4) a curriculum vitae including publication list; and (5) three references to be contacted for letters of recommendation. The applicant should contact administrator Amy Rutherford (email@example.com), should they wish to avoid requests for references at this stage of the application process. Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2021; later applications may be considered at the discretion of the search committee. Start date will be negotiable. Please apply online at AcademicJobsOnline.org: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/20357.
The Photon Science Faculty, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford University value faculty who are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching and clinical missions.