II-VI Incorporated, a global leader in engineered materials and optoelectronic components, is a vertically integrated manufacturing company that develops innovative products for diversified applications in communications, industrial, aerospace & defense, semiconductor capital equipment, life sciences, consumer electronics, and automotive markets. Headquartered in Saxonburg, Pennsylvania, the Company has research and development, manufacturing, sales, service, and distribution facilities worldwide. The Company produces a wide variety of application-specific photonic and electronic materials and components, and deploys them in various forms, including integrated with advanced software to support our customers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the design and characterize ultra-compact optical interconnect modules in the form factors of co-package or mid-board optics.
- Define the module architecture to meet electrical, thermal, and optical specs, defined by IEEE and MSA standards.
- Evaluate and select components for optical, high-speed, analog, digital from both internal and external suppliers.
- Create schematic that includes high-speed IC’s, photonics IC’s, microcontrollers, communication interfaces, and power supplies. And layout the substrate and PCB for 100Gbps and 200Gbps per wavelength transmission applications.
- Drive RF, optical, and thermal, mechanical simulations and tolerance analysis by working with a multi-function team.
- Conduct component and system level characterizations for optical and electrical performances. Decide and specify proper test equipment and instrument required and monitor their availability on time.
- Drive EVT, DVT, and MVT processes and activities.
- Direct and drive the software and firmware implementation of signal processing algorithm, control algorithm, and characterization algorithm for module implementation and optimization.
- Co-design and help the design and implementation of evaluation boards, test boards, and test methodology.
- File patent/know-how disclosure to protect II-VI’s IP portfolio. Participate conferences and prepare publications to advocate II-VI’s new technology.
- Drive novel O/E integration package process solutions from concept to design verification for II-VI’s next generation high speed optical subsystems such as co-packaged optical transceivers and multi-chip modules with InP, GaAs and silicon photonics components.
- Document key R&D results for IP protection as well as work instructions for operations.
Education & Experience
- MS and higher degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Applied Physics, or a closely related field of concentration.
- 7+ years of experience in optical transceiver design and implementation, including circuit design, RF circuit simulation and layout, and characterization. This position is also open to high potential, high achieving individuals with less than 3 years of experience.
- Exhibited clear understanding and solution provisioning in meeting competing requirements in signal integrity, optical coupling, thermal efficiency, and mechanical reliability.
- Exhibited decision making capability in selecting architecture, technology/components, internal and external partners, against quality, cost, and time to market.
- Working experience and knowledge in laser sources, analog and digital IC’s, silicon photonics IC’s and passive optics.
- Experience in using high-speed optical electrical instruments, Realtime scopes, BERTs, vector analyzers, optical spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, wavelength meters, tunable filters, etc.
- Proficient in using EDA tools for schematic capture, circuit layout, RF simulation, and other statistical packages.
- Working experience in managing project’s EVT, DVT, and MVT processes.
- Programming in Python or other script language to support characterization and testing
- Additional skills desirable:
- Working knowledge on tunable lasers, coherent transceivers.
- Optoelectronics hybrid integration packaging with flip-chip and wafer scale assembly
- Mechanical design tool such as Solidworks
- Self-motivated, creative, teamwork oriented
- Authorized to work in US
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5376851