Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you looking to join a team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security?
You could be the Postdoctoral Appointee we are seeking to join our team. You will be providing analytic support for shock and vibration field test measurement, including pre- and post- test analyses! You will be performing mechanical, shock, and vibration testing collaboratively with laboratory staff and technologists. You will be using a breadth of measurement and testing hardware in a world-class structural dynamics laboratory and have opportunities to partner to with experts in modal and vibration testing and simulation. You will be part of the expansion of our structural dynamics approaches in areas such as; transfer path analysis, environments engineering, modal testing techniques, nonlinear system modeling, inverse problems, and more.
On any given day, you might be called on to:
- Collaborate with mentors on research projects in the field of structural dynamics and beyond
- Collect, process, and analyze data from structural dynamics experiments and simulations
- Design and set up modal and vibration tests
- Perform modal and vibration tests using various excitation methods, measurement techniques, and boundary conditions
- Perform finite-element analysis using in-house and commercial software
- Present research to the broader community in various venues, including conferences and internal presentations
Postdoctoral Appointee opportunities at Sandia National Laboratories:
- Mentorship for successful proposal writing
- A Laboratory wide Post-doctoral network spanning all fields of science and discovery
- Access to leading edge of measurement and experimental capabilities
- Opportunities to work on many challenging projects
- The insight to see direct application of research work
Join our team and make a difference!
Qualifications We Require
- You have, or are pursuing, a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or a related field and possess a BS in a STEM field. PhD Required to start
- Experience with structural dynamics
- Able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with structural dynamics, solid mechanics, shock, vibration, fatigue, damage prediction
- Experience with basic laboratory test equipment, including data acquisition equipment, signal conditioners, and measurement sensors
- Experience with advanced data or image processing techniques and digital signal processing
- Strong background and experience in finite element modeling (FEM) and computational methods
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to interact with fellow colleagues with diverse technical backgrounds
- Matlab, Python or other coding experience
- Strong track record of first-authorship papers in peer-reviewed publications or conference presentations
About Our Team
The Experimental Dynamics & Model Validation Department is part of the Engineering Sciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. Our center is the steward of engineering mechanics for Sandia and we are dedicated to solving our customer’s most pressing and important national security problems. Our department specializes in experimental technologies related to structural dynamics. With our state of the art experimental technologies, technical expertise, and analytical capabilities in sister departments, we provide integrated customer solutions in the following areas: accurate characterization of structural response of systems to force and pressure environments, structural dynamics testing including modal analysis and vibration characterization, and design expertise for fixturing and development of experimental configurations. Our mission is to support fundamental research, development, model validation, qualification and acceptance for nuclear weapons, satellites, national missile defense, and other applications.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include; 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia’s discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5376808