Optica is recruiting for a Manager, Corporate Communications. The Manager, Corporate Communications supports Optica’s specific publishing communications. Their role includes management of press releases and support of corporate communications. The Manager plays a vital role as a member of the Corporate Communications team to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders, volunteers, PR contacts, and more. See details below for the specific responsibilities.
- Primary lead to supporting Optica Publishing communications
- Daily management of checking paper status and following the publication process
- Daily interaction with Optica Publishing staff and press release content writers
- Publication of press releases supporting Optica Publishing
- Daily interaction with authors and editors of Optica Publishing
- Media relations lead in outreach promoting papers published by the journals
- Graphic design lead for all banner creation and submission to IT
- Weekly media newsletter lead supporting media relations engagement for Optica Publishing
- Support of Optica corporate communications news and press releases
- Research and prepare Optica corporate press releases
- Request banner ad/images for Optica news releases
- Post approved news releases to the Optica website
- Monitor media coverage associated with Optica press releases
- Communication support for Optica events
- Provide PR support for conferences, tradeshows and special programs
- Implement multi-media strategies to promote Optica programs
- Coordinate and schedule media interview requests
- Assist in organizing press and media conferences
- Responds promptly and professionally to PR inquiries from current prospective individual and corporate members and media. Provides information about Optica products and services
- Be informed and respond promptly to all media inquires
- Update web content in the Optica newsroom
- Review website and other Optica media for messaging consistency
- Review sister societies news rooms on a timely basis to provide competitive and relevant comparisons.
- Undergraduate or Graduate-level coursework in public relations, science and/or integrated communications
- Two-three years media relations, public relations and/or communications work experience
- Prior experience in a science-related field or organization a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience using Microsoft office software
- Strong writing/editing/verbal communications/customer service skills required.
- Ability to manage workflow with daily due dates.
- Excellent attention to details, strong q/c skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office/Windows, customer databases and online research.
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently.
- Enjoys the excitement of scientific discovery and its application to help improve/solve global challenges
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and two pages of writing samples to [email protected]