Pay Grade: M10
Leads the complete development of power system design and engineering for stations, transmission lines, protection and control, and communications for Hoosier Energy. Oversight includes cost estimating, engineering reviews, design and drawings review, review of material specifications and management of the active projects assigned to the department. Provides leadership as well as technical directions and assigns projects to the team of direct reports to accomplish all aspects of power system design at optimized cost, schedule and accuracy. Includes compliance with Hoosier Energy’s project management structure, NERC/RRO and other industry standards, and successful mitigation of permitting, environmental and other constraining issues. Creates a work environment that fosters communication and collaboration within and between departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees development of power systems including station, transmission line, protection and control, and communications designs using either internal staff or external AE firm depending on the availability of resources. Ensures that the basis of design is cost effective, safe, and reliable and complies with the needs of the Hoosier Energy system, the member cooperatives’ distribution systems and neighboring interconnected utilities.
- Coordinates the preparation of standardized execution plans producing detailed cost estimates, schedules, risk analysis, land and equipment procurement plans, communications and all aspects of design criteria encompassing physical, electrical, structural, environmental, permitting and other constraining issues. Coordinates with other departments resolving any technical, cost or schedule related difference early in the process. Ensures plans adhere to Hoosier Energy’s project management structure.
- Coordinates and attends key meetings internally as well as externally with other cooperatives, and RUS staff ensuring that all design, joint connections, interface, metering and other issues are satisfactorily negotiated and resolved. Documents conference and meeting notes, issues monthly reports internally.
- Keeps abreast of innovation in the electric utility industry, recognizes advances and suggests replication and standardization methodologies on design, equipment and material specification, and on technical, auditing and administrative policies/procedures including maintenance of files, past records, as-built and other matters that can reduce cost, challenge design staff and augment efficiencies of all personnel.
- Ensures design review meetings are held during the development stages ensuring that the designs are as accurate as possible. Assures constructability, operability and maintainability of the project at optimized cost and schedule in compliance with NERC and RRO quality, reliability and safety standards.
- Reviews design summary documentation, cost estimates, and other related deliverables. Reviews construction specifications covering all drawings and materials to be supplied by the contractor and awards the contract following detailed review.
- Monitors and performs analysis of construction implementation of design through periodic site visits, fosters innovation, identifies improvements that can be made to streamline field installations and introduces methods, reports and processes that provide reliable delivery of power and energy and protect Hoosier Energy’s investment in the infrastructure.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent minimum
- P.E. license minimum
- 10 years progressively more technical responsibility with combined experience in power system design minimum
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels and work as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying scopes and timelines
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and positive attitude
- Ability to exercise flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills to identify, anticipate and resolve problems at hand
- Advanced computer and technological skills
- Broad knowledge of the design of protection, telecommunications, station and transmission line facilities as well as emerging technologies and trends
Hoosier Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran