Deputy System Manager for ALS-U Accelerator Systems – 93572
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (https://www.lbl.gov/) has a compelling opportunity for a Deputy System Manager for ALS-U Accelerator Systems to join the Advanced Light Source-Upgrade (ALS-U, https://als.lbl.gov/als-u/overview/) Division. Reporting to the System Manager for ALS-U Accelerator Systems, this position is responsible for the overall execution of the ALS-U accelerator systems plan, ensuring that the Accelerator Systems scope of the project is completed within approved cost and schedule. The Deputy System Manager is an integral member of the ALS-U senior management team, and will manage the Accelerator Systems scope to completion.
ALS-U is an upgrade project that received approval of its cost, schedule and performance baseline in April 2021, with a total project cost of $590 million. The Accelerator Systems scope is planned at 57% of the total cost. Early completion of the project is planned for fiscal year 2027. The project will transform the Advanced Light Source, which is a Department of Energy (DOE) user facility serving over 2,000 national and international users every year. ALS-U will provide a world-leading soft x-ray light source using a multi-bend-achromat lattice and increase brightness and coherent flux by more than 2 orders of magnitude compared to the current ALS.
The Accelerator Systems project scope includes the new storage ring, accumulator ring, transfer lines, and all associated technical hardware and documentation. To achieve the completion of the Accelerator scope, the position will manage the execution of the ALS-U Accelerator Systems plan to meet or exceed the relevant project and systems requirements. The position will manage the day-to-day planning, coordination, and completion of all work within Accelerator Systems and demonstrates leadership in all areas of project management. The position will closely interface with the other three major ALS-U systems (Beamline and Optical Systems; Removal and Installation; Operations and Support) as well as the accelerator subsystem leads to ensure technical and schedule integration across the project. It is an exciting project to be part of!
What You Will Do:
- Manage the overall execution of the ALS-U accelerator systems plan to meet or exceed the project and systems requirements, including management of design, procurement, fabrication, construction, assembly and pre-installation work performed by the Accelerator Systems team.
- Manage the day-to-day planning, coordination, and achievement of all work within accelerator systems.
- Supervise the next level of managers, including Accelerator Mechanical and Electrical Systems Managers.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the Accelerator Systems Control Account Managers.
- Ensure the integration of subsystem schedules within Accelerator Systems.
- Work with other system (and major system) managers to ensure schedule integration across the project.
- Ensure schedule performance of all Accelerator Systems activities, including technical integration efforts.
- Manage and report on budget and schedule, including earned value management systems.
- Manage requirements, interfaces and risk in close coordination with the Systems Manager for Accelerator Systems, Control Account Managers and Technical Leads.
- Manage space, equipment, and facilities utilized for construction of ALS-U Accelerator Systems; coordinate space needs with the ALS-U space manager.
- Work closely with the ALS-U procurement team on acquisition planning and effective execution of Accelerator Systems procurements.
- Report at regular team meetings, advisory committee meetings, DOE reviews and other venues. Assist in the preparation of management content and Control Account Manager presentations for DOE reviews.
- Coordinate with ALS-U Environment, Health & Safety Manager and ALS-U management on work safety, and ensure that work performed by the team follows safe work practices.
What is Required:
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience in large and complex projects and/or projects with very high-performance risk, including project management experience.
- Demonstrated success in technical management of large-scale, technology-related projects, including successful delivery of project scope on schedule and within budget.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to successfully manage large technology-related projects and knowledge of the tools and processes of project management.
- Demonstrated capability to lead technical/scientific personnel in a project environment to develop and maintain schedules, including ensuring work-flow on schedule, solving technical issues in a timely manner, and managing procurements to meet project requirements.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work with scientists and engineers to assure that a project’s design and construction achieve the required capabilities to meet scientific goals.
- Experience with particle accelerators or similar large-scale systems used in scientific research, or other large technology-related engineering projects.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills, either in authoring technical and scientific publications or project-related documentation.
- Ability to perform in a collaborative team atmosphere involving multidisciplinary personnel, as well as experience in advanced problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to facilitate timely decisions.
- Experience estimating project costs and resource requirements, generating project schedules, and tracking progress to meet deadlines.
- and/or combination of education and experience.
- Experience with DOE Order 413.3b or comparable projects, including experience with earned value management.
- Established connections and reputation within the area of particle accelerators, photon beamlines, or similar large-scale scientific facilities.
- Project Management Professional or similar certification.
- For full consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter by October 31, 2021.
- This is a full-time, career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=209152 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.