Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
We are searching for an innovative and motivated design engineer with a strong background in the field of electromechanical / mechatronics/ robotics engineering. Under general supervision this position participates in the research, development, and introduction of precision, motorized, mechanical devices within a rapidly expanding product line. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop, precision, motorized, optomechanical devices.
- Assist with the selection and integration of various motorized elements and feedback apparatus within new and existing devices.
- Generate, modify, and maintain code for data collection and device control software.
- Collect market research and work with existing customers to determine the appropriate design requirements for prospective projects.
- Conduct detailed experimental tests and simulations on mechanical and electronic devices.
- Compile and present lab reports utilizing MS Office software.
- Direct and coordinate fabrication and installation activities, to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Responsible for data entry, document revision, and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 1-3 years of experience in Mechatronics, Electromechanical, Mechanical, Electrical, or related engineering field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering field required (Mechatronics, Electomechanical, Robotics, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.)
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge within SolidWorks or similar 3D modeling software.
- Proficiency with a variety of motors, motor controllers, power supplies, & encoders.
- Proficiency in Python, C++, C # or comparable coding languages.
- Working knowledge of feedback systems & control theory.
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment.
- Strong innovative skills with the ability to think outside the box.
- Flexibility/adaptability to a fast-paced & dynamic work environment.
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5376699