Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is for an entry-level candidate interested in starting a career path in Quality Engineering for high technology product lines in Precision Optics and Specialty Fiber Optics. The Engineering Technician will assist with managing quality systems, customer returns, and various improvement projects. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, it may be required to travel to various locations including other Thorlabs entities and customer/vendor locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Assist with processing non-conformances from customers and manufacturing teams
- Manage inventory audits and product measurements to investigate potential issues
- Participate on teams to perform root cause analyses and implement corrective actions
- Support department efforts to maintain the division’s compliance with the corporate Quality Management System which is based on ISO 9001:2015
- Participate in weekly meetings to discuss product evaluations and updates on improvement projects.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Some industry experience or related coursework is desired, but not required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Work experience in a Manufacturing environment or Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) and web tools.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Deep sense of ownership, ability to take initiative, and flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
Preferred, training will be provided:
- Hands on experience with optics including alignment, measurement, and testing
- Experience using metrology equipment including calipers, interferometers, spectrophotometers, microscopes, lab setups, and other devices
- Background in Six Sigma, Lean Quality Control, or SPC
Apply Here: https://spiecareercenter.org/jobs/5376698