Location: Bolton, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
Applications of Visual Science (VA)
Applied Spectroscopy (IS)
Environmental Sensing (IE)
Holography and Diffractive Optics (FH)
Image Sensing and Pattern Recognition (IR)
Optical Biosensors (BB)
Tissue Imaging and Spectroscopy (BS)
Years of Experience:
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering, the Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer will perform mechanical design and analysis for terrestrial, airborne, and space-based hyperspectral imaging (HSI) systems, tooling, and test equipment. These efforts will include leading the design of complex opto-mechanical systems, designing hardware that satisfies system requirements, providing full design documentation, and detailing parts and assembly drawings to support the development, manufacture, and test of HSI systems. The role will also support new business opportunities and mentor, lead and develop junior engineers, designers, and technicians. The candidate must be a fast learner, strong problem solver, and exceptional communicator. They must have a proven ability to understand complex problems and requirements as described by customers, product managers, and scientific and engineering staff. Due to export restrictions, the candidate must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Lead the design and engineering of state-of-the-art HSI products, subassemblies, and production equipment through all phases of development and manufacturing.
- Create part and assembly models, detailed drawings, and associated parts lists, in accordance with AMSE Y14.5 and Headwall drawing standards.
- Analyze and present modeling and test data. Review results with technical staff, external partners, and customers.
- Provide domain leadership to project teams in the preparation of requirements, cost estimates and schedules.
- Prepare for, and participate in, comprehensive reviews of one’s own work product as well as that of peers.
- Evaluate product performance at the component and system levels via both computer modeling and hands-on experimental methods.
- Help develop and execute component reliability and qualification tests, especially accelerated aging, high stress conditions, and test to failure.
- Support the product transition to manufacturing, including development of manufacturing and quality procedures, assistance with pilot builds, and troubleshooting during production.
- Communicate detailed technical specifications with both domestic and overseas suppliers of materials, parts, and equipment.
- Write engineering change orders on existing products to improve designs and correct problems.
- Meet deadlines, sustain superior personal task management, and deliver consistent high performance.
- Occasionally travel to customer and supplier sites as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or a closely related field.
- 10+ years of experience in hands-on opto-mechanical design and development.
- Practiced in free-space lens and mirror mounting techniques, flexure and kinematic mount design, as well as optical assembly, alignment, test equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of various adhesive applications and bonding techniques in opto-mechanical designs.
- High proficiency in using SOLIDWORKS for mechanical design and documentation.
- Proficiency with finite element analysis (FEA) method for stress analysis, modal analysis, and heat transfer analysis.
- Competency with GD&T to achieve high precision results in the design process.
- Able and efficient with modern documentation, presentation, and collaboration applications, e.g. MS Office.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Capable and self-sufficient in building and testing physical assemblies and apparatus.
- Master’s degree or PhD in mechanical engineering or a closely related field.
- Practiced in athermalized telescope design and optics mounting in a space environment, adhesive applications in ultrahigh vacuum, and laboratory interferometer and optical alignment experience.
- Ability to formally organize and manage technical development projects, i.e. creating work breakdown structures, schedules, and reports.
- Working knowledge of hand tools, machining methods, materials, and processes.
- Proficiency in failure analysis methodology and documentation.
- Capable in design for cost/ reliability/ manufacturability for industrial or scientific equipment.
- Experience using SOLIDWORKS PDM, documentation control and formal documentation release processes.
- Proven track record of successful designs that have transitioned to high volume production.
- Formal training in machining and/or other fabrication methods.
- Formal training in CMM and/or other precision measurement instruments.
Apply Here: https://jobs.workinoptics.com/jobs/rss/15506621/senior-opto-mechanical-engineer